Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Pasta without spiral slicer...

Is there any way to get my zucchini into long strips without a spiral slicer?

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

You can use a vegetable peeler to make wide “noodles”. Slice them into strips for thinner ones.

I bought a Saladacco several weeks ago and use it all the time. I got a new one on eBay, where I get many things, for around $20.00 with shipping. This is one product that does what it says.

Pampered Chef also makes a julienne tool. I have that too, but it doesn

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

There is also a tool that is a vegetable peeler on one side and another type of blade on the opposide side that makes skinny pasta-like strips. I believe it is by Kuhn Rikon.

• I have a spiral slicer but sometimes I just use a potato peeler to “slice” strips of carrot, zuchinni, and veggie noodles

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Rawmama I think you’re talking about the same tool I use, its called a Julienne over here. It is just as you say, like a peeler but it has teeth instead of a flat blade. It makes better pasta than any other gadget I have used, including a spiraliser which I hate!!! It makes spaghetti type pasta.
    If you want flat big strips to use for lasagna or ravioli use a hand held metal cheese slicer. It is perfect!

• msrawdivamsrawdiva Raw Newbie

so, mellieveggie, the apple/potato peeler that i’ve been seeing also makes good pasa shapes?

makes sense, but i didn’t even think of that…

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Would y’all be so kind as to post a link to a picture of the tools y’all are mentioning. They all sound really interesting. I’m probably not alone in wanting to check them out. Thankx. 8)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie
  • I have been using a lemon zester tool for my spaghetti. It makes the perfect size for noodles not to big not to small, almost like a angel hair but tad bit larger. Hope this helps. PEace to all.

• Here is a link to a picture of one. http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Lemon-Zest…=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1203816514&sr=8-3

• A zester! What a good idea. I don’t have a spiral slicer but I might be able to rustle up a zester :)

• I use a vegetable peeler. works fine.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

zester. hm… i’ll try this. yes, a peeler is perfectly fine. but for every “peel” on a julienne slicer you get like 8 strands of zusghetti- it’s just a time saver and also makes them uniform and lovely. (as i imagine a zester would). i’m really into the hand-held vegetable “appliances” because i think varying textures keeps things interesting.