Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How long do Thai Coconuts keep?

I have two Thai coconuts that are slightly firm to the outside, a nice white in color, and have lots of water inside when I shake them. I got them yesterday from Whole Foods, and normally they only have like 5 or so…but there was practically a basket full. So I am assuming that they just got in a shipment.

Last time mine was moldy on the inside.

How long do you think these will keep before going bad??

Comments

• I have gotten coconuts from the asian store near my place before and they have lasted a week or so…

When I go and buy them, size isn’t super important, but I give them a good shake. What am I listening for? hopefully no sloshyness or sound actually. From what I have read and my experience with thai coconuts, when you shake them and the water is moving around it means that there might be a leak or that it has gone rancid. So when you shake it you don’t really want to hear anything…

this isn’t to say that they are always good when they are airtight…so check it out, one time I got a coconut, it looked fine, made no sloshy sound when I shook it, BUT when I opened it the meat and water was bright pink and it tasted very very not groovy…it’s tricky to paint an accurate portrait of the young thai coconut…

• I’m not sure how long they last but I bought two about two weeks ago and used only one right away. Yesterday when I tried to open the the other one it had mold on the outside. Bummer! I got them at Whole Foods and they had just come in. I wish I had opened both and frozen the water, since I’ve done that before. So that is my experience and I would recommend you don’t wait too long to use them.

• I don’t know but im afraid to keep mine more than a few days. I bought 3 on friday from whole foods, opened two and froze the meat and juice separately (you could also blend together and freeze) and then I opened the last one on Sunday night and it was perfect, lots of water and the meat was all white and thick. The ones I opened Friday night were very gel like.

Oh and one time I kept the coconut a little over a week and it went bad. You could always just keep checking them daily I guess.

• For the past year, I have been buying the coconuts by the case every three weeks. There are nine to a case. I store them in my natural walk in cooler (my garage) which is around 30 degrees this time of year.

I figure by the time I pick these up at the food terminal, they are probably a week or two old.

In all the time I have been purchasing my coconuts, I have never had a bad one. Not one.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

ok, this will probably make you laugh or gross you out. I had split 2 cases with friends and our “spare” fridge was loaded…needless to say, some coconuts were placed out of the way in the back of the fridge. They had been there over a month, probably closer to 2 months. Welllll, when I discovered them, I shook them and 1 had sloshy water, the other had no sloshy water at all when shaken. The outside was same color white but just a little more soft to touch, looked a little shriveled. I opened them up, figured that the worst thing I would end up doing is to throw them out…to my surprise they were delicious! I remember the ones that I had opened in those batches of coconuts when I first bought them, they were so young the meat was very gelatinous. These had thicker which meat, about 1/4”, which is what happens, the water turns into the meat as they get older, hense a little bit of sloshing. I tasted the water first, it was sweet and no spots on the coconut meat, and I am living to tell you the story ;) Sooooooooooo, not that I’d recommend keeping your coconuts for 2 months, BUT just wanted you to know what we had discovered just by chance because of our hidden coconuts ;) ALWAYS taste the water first and look at the water in a glass…is it dark yellow (ick), does it taste sweet or have a strange after taste? If so, toss it. When purchasing coconuts, I definitely shake my young coconuts when I buy them and do not want to hear the water sloshing around, those go back on the shelf.