Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Groats

Ifound groats in the bulk section of my organic grocer,it did not say if they were raw,is that ok?
Silly?....it looks very thick like rice,is it easy to use by just soaking?

Comments

• If you meant oat groats, I think that they are not raw, sorry.
    Buckwheat is definitely raw if it has a light withish, very light brown colour and doesn’t say it is roasted.

• some recipes are calling for groats,which kind do I use and is there any prep work I need to know about other than possiblt soaking. Not familiar with this any help would be greatly appreciated,thanks.

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

most refer to RAW BUCKWHEAT GROATS . get raw because some are toasted . and i was just talking with a rawfoodist that sprouts alot of buckwheat and she says only soak them like 3 hours , then rinse after like 12 or so . then they sprout little tails in like 30 hours .

• Thank-you michigan roman.
    Is there a site I could go to or something here that explains the whole process in detail?
    Are RAW BUCKWHEAT GROATS fairly common to find or is it something I would have to order?

Sorry if this seems ridiculous to ask since I see many people using this in recipes,I just tend to not use grains so I am a bit confused.

here in suburban detroit buckwheatgroats seem to be pretty common at bulk food stores or healthy grocer types that have bulk bins .

and on sprouting a great place is www.sproutpeople.com ,
    if that address dont work just search that name and youll get to it .

but sprouting buckwheats super undifficult =

soak seeds 3 hours
    drain and rinse
    rinse every 8 hours or so
    around 30 hours or less youll see little tails breaking out of seed shell . thats when people like eating them . but they can keep growing a few days longer . just rinse often and dont pack too many seeds into a container otherwise buckwheat can get like a slimy coating to it in my experience . thats why i like using any kind of mesh bag to hold sprouts rather than jars because it allows air around seeds keeping them from getting too mushy/slimy which causes mold . i bought both nylon and cloth mesh at fabric store and sewed my own simple bags to sprout in . or people buy ’ paint filter bags ’ at homedepot / lowes / hardwarestore/paintstores to sprout in . theyre very cheap . $2 for like 2 bags . any thin / undyed / clean cloth would do for sprout bags .

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Yes, oat groats are raw! Very raw! I used to germinate them for about a day or two and make oatmeal out of them. My husband’s favorite. But, I stopped germinating oats a long while back.

hi germin8 , from my buying experience and many others ive confered with on the internet most oat groats sold in stores have been heated and wont sprout . they call this heating ‘stabilization’ in order to prevent the groats from going rancid too quickly on the store shelf . many people ive talked go to special sites like sunorganicfarms to mail order their raw groats .

• Even what I bought as ‘sprouting oats’ didn’t sprout!

• Thanks…. Ok how is sprouting diff. from germinating? Seems to be that by soaking seeds and yes raw groats they turn….? and then with sprouting…????so confused,I guess which one produces tails,I eat sprouts daily so I assume what you are sprouting is living?The groats that are dry seem as of they would not sprout? Help!!!!Thanks:)

• Sprouting and germinating is the same, I think!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Not raw? Hmmmm.

Yes sprouting is germinating… but, I think germinating is just soaking in the water with out sprouting a tail… and of course, sprouting starts with germinating in water, then sprouting a tail, rinsing with water.

• the oat groats at the co-op are raw because i sprout them, and they arent labeled raw!