Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Kale vs Spinach

SarahJSarahJ Raw Newbie

Would anyone have any information about the differences in flavour and nutritional value of kale and spinach?

I eat loads of spinach (breakfast, lunch and dinner) in various forms. I’m not really familiar with kale. I don’t believe I’ve ever eaten it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

kale is of the brassica / cabbage family and has that much more pungent cabbage taste than the much milder spinach . for me kales too brassy , and i prefer the mild spinach . but alot like kale in their smoothies . its something i use as say %10 of the greenery in a salad , much more and it overtakes the taste of other greens .
    and the reason i include kale even though taste aint my favorite is it contains more nutrients / vitamins / minerals than about all other greens . ive read tens of nutritionist say kales the most nutricious green . search kale and youll probably see right near top of search page a wikedpeidia profile on it .

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I think Kale may have more protien than spinach. It has a nice flavour, but I find it kind of hard to deal with in my stomach, unless I add it into a green smoothie. So maybe it’s a bit tough to digest for me!

I would deffinately say try it. Then make up your mind about it! :)

• SarahJSarahJ Raw Newbie

Thanks very much. I am going to pick some up and see how it goes. :)

• I might be a little biased ‘cause I was always ttold spinach was the best. Awhile ago, I looked into all different types of leafy greens to figure out if there were any major differences between all of them. I still say spinach is the best taking both nutrition and taste into consideration.It’s quite a bit more versatile too.

• Kale juiced
    Spinach blended

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

in green for life it says what some greens lack, other greens make up for. to make sure you are getting the full spectrum of nutrients, i’d say use a variety of greens.

when using kale in a green smoothie try a more tart fruit (apple, pineapple, etc.) with or w/o banana. i find that the mix of bitter and pure sweet from the banana makes the bitter stick out more.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Kale has a lot more calcium; it’s great for calcium! Spinach has more vitamin A.

• SarahJSarahJ Raw Newbie

Wow – you guys are great. Thanks so much.

• Look up the vitamin breakdown on both kale and spinach. Kale basically destroys spinach. I read a book a year ago, and it ranked all the fruits and veggies. Spinach was ranked 2nd place with a rating of 400. Kale was ranked first with a rating of over 700. Almost twice the score spinach received. Not to say spinach isn't great for you. It's still runner-up to first place, albeit a very distant runner-up to kale.

Some quick stats on kale. It has 3x more Calcium, 4x more Vitamin A, 10x more Vitamin C, and 4x more Vitamin K, 4x more Omega 3, 14x more Omega 6, than spinach.

Feel free to look it up. Kale pretty much beats spinach in all the major categories.

• I toss in around 6-8 stocks of kale, 1 apple, quarter of a large pineapple, and 2 handfuls of green grape, 4 ice cubes into my Vitamix. It's great. I drink it every morning. If you don't have grapes or pineapple, two large apples work as well with 6-8 stocks of kale. Without a blender, consuming the same amount of kale is extremely difficult. I highly recommend getting a blender for veggie consumption.

• Thanks powerlifter, I had no idea about goitrogens. I have been feeling the need to monitor my iodine intake anyway, but that gives me a lot more incentive!

• ambergirlambergirl Raw Newbie

Yup!! I think you hit the nail on the head here. :)

• ambergirlambergirl Raw Newbie

Also, kale chips are awesome; all you need is kale (washed), olive oil and sea salt. And then pop into the dehydrator until crisp. Yummy!

• Even this is the first time I am visiting this blog for first time I am proud to say that I am the great fan for this blog officially.A good blog always comes-up with new and exciting information and while reading I have feel that this blog is really have all those quality that qualify a blog to be a good one.

cars for sale

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Yeah kale chips are Rawesome ambergirl, so many different flavors you can experiment with also, i get mines made by a friend as a i dont have a dehydrator at the current time. After spending 400 pound + on a vitamix im going to be poor for a while lol.

Amla