hair gel

What raw natural substance can be used as hair gel? The only thing that I have found to work so far is agave nectar, but I am not satisfied because it is uncomfortably sticky, creates crystals, and is not very strong. Honey works better, but it is even more difficult to work with. I think an oil might work better.

Comments

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I think shea butter can be used, but I don’t know how it would work. I use Kiss My Face Upper Management med hold and it works well. It is free of SLS and parabens. As far as I can tell, it is all plant or amino acid derived.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Nope not shea butter – too heavy. Aloe Vera is the perfect sub for hair gel! If you are looking for Lots of hold, make a sea salt hair spray. Sea salt and water and put in a spray container – works like hair spray.

• queenfluff – that’s incredible, thank you so much!!! I can’t wait to try that.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

You can also try soaking flaxseed in water until it starts to gel. Then use a strainer to separate the gel from the seed. Dilute with water (depending on how strong a hold you want) and store in a spray bottle. You could probably also mix it with aloe vera gel and see what you come up with.

Queenfluff, does the salt dry out the hair if you use it too much? I like this idea but my hair has a tendency towards dryness.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

This is great!! I’m so glad there are very simple, natural, and RAW alternatives to hair gel/spray!!!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Raw Chocoholic,

Yes, the sea salt water can dry out your hair if you use too much or leave it in and never rinse it out. You would have to use alot of it – like soaking your hair in ocean water and leaving it in and never rinsing with fresh water. But if you will be rinsing it out daily, you shouldn’t have to worry about it. :)