Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

home made kombucha

omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

im launching into this wonderful world of brewing, as buying the GTs variety at the store is breaking the bank..anyone currently brewing? i am taking a free 7 day course on line it seems pretty straight forward…just curious if anyone else is atempting this at home….

Comments

• my roommate and I have had a batch going for about 2 weeks now…he knows much more about it than I do…It is almost done, though I think we need to add more sugar to it…how is yours going?

• gypsycowgirlgypsycowgirl Raw Newbie

Fermentation is fun! There is an awesome book about fermenting all kinds of cool foods and drinks (some may not apply to the raw food lifestyle but still very interesting) called “Wild Fermentation” by Sandor Ellix Katz—I recommend that you get it. It will open a whole new world of fermenting for you and is alot of fun!

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I just started reading that book! It’s very interesting.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

monsieur reality, getting my equiptment together…trying to avoid lots of covered jars all over my counters, so im gettinga porceline crock with spigot…trying to find one not made in china, as im concerned about lead!

gypsy cowgirl. love you pic! looks like maryland, where i used to live, hoping ot get some primo trail riding in when we move to AZ. fermintation seemed so easy when granny made chow chow and sour kraut, dont know why im such a chicken! ill definitly pick up that book! thanks!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Try at places that sell water. You might even be able to get a 2 gallon glass bottle there that you can invert into a porceline crock with a spigot.

• jeshuabrownjeshuabrown Raw Newbie

Surprisingly easier than I thought. I have 3 batches simultaneously going. Remember to cap the bottles tight for the TANG! Does anyone know if less sugar can be used? I’m worried about spiking levels too much. I understand sugar is what the Kombucha eats, but how much is left over?

jeshuabrown, i read that the sugar is eaten by the scoby so the longer you let it sit for the second ferminataion( the one where its bottled and not longer in contact with the scoby) the more the sugar will be completey consumed making the lovely bubbles… same withthe caffeine in the original sweet tea, I read that they reccomend not cutting back on the sugar for the recipe as a well fed scoby is a happy one and healthy one. no worrys!

blue dolphin, i ended up bidding on one on ebay it is glass, has no ceramic coating and plastic spigot…made in italy so i hope i have avoided the lead issue.