Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Feeding my dog...

Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I feed my dog on the BARF diet. Bones And Raw Food. Becasue of this, am I not considered a vegan?

Comments

• In my opinion as long as you aren’t chewing on those bones alongside your dog.. you are vegan!

• I feed my cat organic raw hamburger meat or ground turkey. Never cooked meat. It’s the best and most healthy diet for an animal. What your pet eats does not determine what you eat, so as long as YOU eat completely raw ad vegan. After all, cats nd dogs in the wild eat raw wild animals, they don’t chew on plants and vegetables. (Well, maybe a little grass here and there) Just keep feeding your dog raw food and you’ll be great!

• of course you are still vegan! your dog should not be expected to be vegan just because you are. dogs are natural carnivores, while humans are naturally herbivores/omnivores. i would never subject my dog to my own food beliefs, same way i wouldn’t do that to my friends.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

You’re feeding your dog an appropriate diet for a dog, good for you! A real animal lover respects her baby’s health and his diet should have nothing to do with yours. Of course you’re still a vegan:-)

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Well, that was all my thinking exactly! I am glad for the support.

Thankyou, thankyou!

• Luna blu,

Do you make all of it on your own, or do you ever buy the prepared raw stuff?

I’m thinking of switching my cat to Primal Pet Food, which is a frozen mixed raw food. In addition to chicken and beef, it also has pheasant and venison varieties. Has anyone tried this? I don’t have the stomach to mix her food myself.

Justine

It is not as cost efficient as mixing it up yourself. I have done a ton of research and I just bit the bullet and mix it all up for her myself. It’s gross, but I want the best for her and my pocket book!

I am not sure if we have that brand around here, so I can’t say much about it.Where are you from?

• I live in Northern California and this is the brand that they sell at Whole Foods. There are two other brands sold at Pet Food Express, but I can’t remember their names at the moment.

Mostly, I’ve been noticing that my cat is getting lethargic and has lost a lot of interest in her food. The vet couldn’t find anything wrong with her. I feed her a high end, holistic kibble and some canned food made from wild-caught seafood, but she still just feels blah. I figure that raw foods are worth a try. I also plan on giving her some fresh fish every once in awhile.

The price is right for us, because the cost of organic, free-range or grass-fed meat around here is atrocious.

Oh, I am up in Canada! Can’t exactly tell you to go shop where I was thinking!

She may not take to her new diet right away, but keep trying her with raw. She may refuse to eat it, but don’t cave and give her her usual. If she is fully grwon and pretty much healthy, a day or two of self inflicted fasting should not hurt her. She will eat it if she gets hungry enough. and will probably think ‘so this is what I have been missing!’

Don’t just take my advice though, find a wholistic vet and talk it over with her/him.

• Justine, conragts on feeding your cat the healthiest way possible!
    I’ve been feeding my dog (a huge Doberman) Primal Raw Patties for a while now and I (and he) love it! I’ve seen some wonderful results even after switching him to it from a high-end, all natural kibble. I also give him a raw meaty bone to chew on each evening. I’ve heard great things about Nature’s Variety raw food, too, but I went with Primal because not only is their meat organic, but all of the fruits, veggies, and supplements are too.

It would probabaly be cheaper for me to make his food myself, but I know he is getting all his nutrional needs covered with their science behind it, and it is so much more convenient time-wise, effort-wise, and space-wise.

There are quite a few raw food pet sites with great info and advice if you Google it, too.

Good luck with your kitty!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Both my dogs eat raw meaty bones and organs and love it. They go nuts for their dinner, drooling and jumping up and down until I tell them to sit for their food, and then they do the hardest, most painstaking sit they can. :-) They never acted that way about their kibble.

I just started my cats on raw ground turkey and even the most dignified among them act overjoyed and kittenish for mealtimes.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Hey Luna blu, our paths keep crossing! I’m not a lover of labels, but I’m an animal lover and I feed our dog a BARF diet. She transformed on it, and at 12, she’s gorgeous and healthy so it would be tough to go back now. I do buy Nature’s Variety patties to make it as painless as possible, and it is expensive, but that’s the choice we’ve made and she LOVES it. I’m intrigued by Ani Phyo’s vegan raw dog food recipe, I just haven’t seen it anywhere else and I’m too afraid to risk our dog’s health at this point. I hope more information comes along to back her up because it would be amazing.

• people = herbivores, dogs = carnivores… your just doing whats right :)

Two raw fed dogs here…

Yay!!!

• amysue… i just read ani phyo’s book and dog food recipe, and i’ve read other places that dogs should NOT have nuts… i think it is possible to feed dogs a balanced vegetarian diet, and maybe even vegan, but it’s tricky, and best to either go with a vetrinarian designed program, or buy premade food.

that being said, my dog gets juice pulp with liver powder & olive oil between meals and she does great on it!

2 foods that are toxic to dogs: grapes & macadamia nuts.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

heres my experience with our elderly cat: http://goneraw.com/forums/6/topics/4583

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I just ran across this new blog by our raw naturopath and her dog feeding: http://www.rawdoggie.com/

• Paxton SquiggledyPaxton Squiggledy Raw Newbie

I feed my dogs the BARF diet too. Websters dictionary offers a couple of different definitions of the word vegan. One says it’s a person who doesn’t use any animal products at all. The other says that it is a person who doesn’t eat any animal products at all. So according to the websters dictionary, you and I are both vegan.

I call myself vegan. There are people who object, but I don’t care about those people.

Also, the difference in the health of my older dog since she has gone to BARF is seriously good. And my puppy has known nothing but BARF. But I do make about 5% of the diet raw vegetables. That’s just a little. Also, they get a little eggs, and a little plain yogurt.

Also, no matter what food I got—high end stuff, low end stuff, canned, dry, burger, etc., I had to take the dog’s bowlk, put it to my face, and pretend to eat the food while my dog was watching, in order to get her interested in eating it. With barf, all I have to do is put it in the bowl, and she will almost knock me down trying to get to it, it tastes so good to her.