Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Why the sweet tooth?

Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Judging by the amount of ymmy desserts that are posted on this site, we certainnly have one big collective sweet tooth!! Why do you think some people are into sweets so much?

I know I certainly am! MMMMMMM cacoa!

Comments

• RawKarateGirlRawKarateGirl Raw Newbie

I’m not really sure. I know I have a big sweet tooth, and am trying to cut down on it. Is there something in sweets that we need??

• Perhaps it is the natural sugar that we are addicted to. Plus I think it feels good to eat sweets that aren’t killing us. Knowing the ingredients are raw and healthy enables us to explore and eat more sweets than we usually would. Just an idea.

• I think it has alot to do with brain chemistry. Foods high in sugars make the brain produce opiods (think opium), which makes you associate sugar with good feelings. I’m sure it’s more complicated than that, but basically, sweets= feel good food. I’ve noticed though that the longer I’m raw, the less I crave sweets.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I got some kind of error message when I tried to post on this a few minutes ago, so I hope it doesn’t double post and make me look even dumber, but trying to remember what I said . . . I wonder if humans don’t have a sweet tooth in general because they are so adapted to eating fruits. We certainly have the tooth shape for it.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

The fact that my sweet tooth is satisfied by raw plant foods is beautiful to me.

• Apparently, craving both sweets and fats ( high caloric foods ) is part of the human genetic make-up. Our bodies want to eat foods with a lot of calories because individuals with stored fat will survive in times of famine would survive, whereas the non-sweet/ fat craving indivduals with less stored fat would die out. However, modern western society rarely faces famine, and their are a lot more fatty and sweet foods to indulge in…

• Candida overgrowth can also create major sweet cravings since yeast feeds on sugar!

• sometimes i think i might have a candida overgrowth. Mainly i just get sweet cravings at night though

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I’m glad that you said that zer0. I think that may be why too. It’s also from compulsive eating behavior. It’s associated with being rewarded. It started in childhood. Didn’t we all get treats for doing something well?

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

There is nothing wrong with craving sweet things. Fruits such as ripe bananas are a quick fix for any cravings for sweets. I will also add that without a sweetener cacao is one of the most bitter foods I have ever tasted. Try to guzzle down a unsweetened cacao smoothie or eat the beans plain it is intense! :)

• i think fruits are so sweet now that i have cut out sugar! but i also think that not eating enough greens can cause major sweet/sugar cravings. for women, i think it’s especially important around the pms phase of the month (which i barely have btw now that i’m eating mostly raw!) to be eating a lot of greens.

• RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

Most people are brought up on sugar. There’s sugar in basically everything that the average American family consumes: breads, cereals, peanut butters, sauces, some seasoning salts, and let’s not forget all that white starch that makes blood sugar hit the roof! We haven’t been able to kick the habit of craving sugar yet since we were living on it for so long. That’s why we all crave sweets. I have also noticed that since I’ve cut out sugar, fruits taste super sweet, and dates are almost too sweet! It’s enough for me now. I can indulge while being healthy and not getting addicted (which is what used to happen when I ate desserts). This is what the world needs to learn.