Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

who actually likes Durian?

Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I tried this, and man, I don’t know! It was really strange. Does the taste grow on you? I had it in a Durian smoothie at a Thai place. Is the fruit itself better?
Would like to know what’s all the hub bub? :) :)

Comments

• RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

I think it’s nasty. My parents love it though. They actually gave my brother his middle name after it…and he can’t stand it (poor guy).

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Good question. I don’t know if I could put something in my mouth that smells like a gas leak, as one poster described it. I live in an area where I won’t get the opportunity to try one to give it an accurate review. I don’t feel that I’m missing anything.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

love it!

• I would like to try it but I don’t have access to it without spending a fortune.

• bananaboybananaboy Raw Superstar

A truly ripe one is heaven!

Though, I agree the smell isn’t that great.

• Gas leak …. lol … I had a good laugh at that one, it’s kind of true ;o)
    I absolutely love ripe durian!!! I think it’s my favorite fruit. I would not judge it by a smoothie made from a restaurant. They could be using a durian extract to be cost effective. I just seen a durian extract other day in an asian market that had ethylene alcohol and I think some other stuff in it.

Ahh, 123 … you at least gotta try it once!!! :o)

Rawclaire, sometimes asian markets sell ripe durian pods individually in the freezer section. I think 2 pods in a package that isn’t very expensive.

• I bought one and my cats ended up eating it. It was the grossest thing I HAVE EVER tasted. Each to his own though. I wish I liked it, but sorry, I can’t get over that one.

• DexterDexter Raw Newbie

Does anyone have tricks to open a durian? We have them always at our Chinese Cultural Center fresh, frozen whole and in containers like icecream. I plan on buying one soon to try eating out by the pool so that I don’t stink up my house with it. Any ideas on opening this successfully in a moderately savvy manner? Also if eaten indoors does it stink the house up?

• i just tried one… i might, maybe have been able to get over the smell, because the taste was half enjoyable and half awful. but my husband was so deeply grossed out by it, gagging and nearly vomiting and passing out, that i just couldn’t do it. most of it went in the compost.

• Not I.

• Love it because it is so weird and bazaar. I did not have a gag reaction to it, so that probably means something. I gag from beer though, go figure.

• kauaigirlkauaigirl Raw Newbie

Love, love, LOVE IT!

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

I have not seen them,but I suppose you can get them here in Australia,are they big or small?
    Doesn’t sound as though I’m missing much :-)

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

I’m SOO confused why some people love it and why others don’t.OK I get that it smells nasty and such, then for those of you who love, well, what do you like about it and how do you overcome the smell/taste?
    Personally, I’ve never tried it either but I am definately curious but I don’t want to waste it!

• RawKarateGirlRawKarateGirl Raw Newbie

Me too! Where I live (which is in the country) I can’t get it but would love to try it!

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

First time I tried it, wasn’t sure…not very keen, although I think I ate too much.

Second time, loved it!

• FreesiaFreesia Raw Newbie

These delicious fruits are a sensual dream.
    In Australia, the durians which usually come from Thailand are fumigated and then frozen.. often thawed and refrozen time and time again…so not the best conditions to make judgements about it. The durian when ripe has natural “seams” that easily split open, so you don’t need tradesmen’s tools to open it.

http://www.durianpalace.com/eat.htm

This will help you get to know this gem of a fruit.
    In Oz, most Woolworths and Coles have them in the fruit section,
    but they can be disappointing unless you know how to select them.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

vilest thing ive ever tried! not sure of the appeal!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Well, I guess as debbiestook said, the second time may be a charm. Maybe I will give it a second chance. I will wait till summer as I don’t want to bring it in the house.

As for wasting it if I don’t like it, can dogs eat it? Does anyone know if it is safe for them? Dogs love stinky things, if I don’t eat it, I am sure she will!! :)