Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

PASTEURIZED ALMONDS

I knew that this was going to happen, but I didn’t realize that even my closest natural CO OP wouldn’t be selling raw organic almonds anymore either!!! I felt extreme grief seeing the label on their organic almond bin, stating that when that bin runs out, that’s it…after that it will be pasteurized almonds.

GOD GIVE ME STRENGTH TO BOYCOTT ALMONDS/ALL NUTS. Who’s to trust anymore? I will just have to buy my nuts online if I want to…from Europe or something, where they won’t kill our precious almonds.

Thoughts anyone??? This is an outrage!

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Most everyone is upset. Either the almonds are heat-pasteurized or they are “pasteurized” by covering them with some cancer-causing fumigant. Evil, isn’t it? All because that great dirty hog, Blue Diamond, poisoned some people with filthy practices. That is what our food protection laws have become and why the FDA is such a corrupt joke. Instead of insuring a clean food supply, they now give leeway for any food company to sell soiled, contaminated food as long as it’s sterilized. This will save food companies more money as they relax their standards. Nasty people.

• Yes, I am rather enraged at this too. I have to spend alot of money on raw food websites to buy my cashews and almonds, and now I don’t know if all the nuts are pasteurized in the grcery stores because some people say alot of nuts are, like pecans. SO now that means I have to order all my nuts online just because I don’t know whether they’re pasteurized. Ridiculous, huh? Well, at any rate, the two websites you should order from are rawguru.com and sunfood.com, I don’t think sunfood sells almonds, but they do sell cashews.

• God, Alix, it truly is a joke. Sometimes I am able to wrap my head around the things that are going on in the health industry, and then other times they overwhelm me so much that I end up feeling like my thoughts go a blur…When I hear people say, “But it’s FDA approved!” I immediately think the opposite they do. They trust the FDA? WHY! That’s sick…to sell people another poisoned food, but just in a different form to make it LEGAL. Well long live the trusty raw websites!!!

• rawclaire…thanks for the links!! though it’s sad that perfectly beautiful food is being killed by pasteurization, I have a lot of hope that these trusted raw sites can grow and always be around for us. Thank you!

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

well, the next time you’re in CA, you can buy raw directly from the grower – up to 100 lbs per day. be sure to bring an extra suitcase ;-) or, you can buy from Europe

• oooooh newbie! fantastic! i live in california…i never even thought of that…wow, i’m so thankful you posted that!!

• The almonds I buy aren’t pasteurized. I get them from this website:
    http://rawfromthefarm.com/nuts.aspx

• Trader Joe’s raw almonds are from Spain, so they should be fine.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

How do I know if they are pasturized or not? Will it say so? Why on earth do they feel the need to kill everything out there? How annoying!

• I feel the same way luna blu! Yeah, you can’t really tell which nuts are pasteurized or not. How annoying!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

www.livingtreecommunity.com sells almonds that aren’t pasteurized, for now. I don’t know how long they will be able to do that, since they are in the USA (California). I am buying a case of their almond butter now, just in case. I also found out there is a variety of almond tree (a dwarf one) that will grow in Utah, so I am planning to get one. They can’t make me sterilize my own almonds tee hee :) The tree probably won’t produce nuts for the first few years, but someday is better than not at all!

How do I get nuts from Europe? And how do we know if they are really raw? (In the nut business, raw just means the nuts have not been roasted.)

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Yeah, it is really a bummer. I believe the law is that no one can sell raw almonds. Blindguru from youtube says that there is a $20,000.00 fine for selling raw almonds. NOW, IF this is true…do you want to sell any? Also, I nut has a certain crunchiness to it and flavor when it is pasteurized that is different than cooked. We recently bought some almonds that said “raw almonds” on the container. They tasted like raw almonds and had the same texture as raw almonds but they must not be raw as this was Gordon food Service (for those in Michigan…a wonderful place to buy bulk). Sooo, if they taste like they are raw, that means they are chemically pasteurized…RIGHT? that sounds terrible.

I am sorry but it is not really worth it. The smile on your face does not seem like one who is ready to boycott almonds. It is what it is and there is nothing we can do about it. It is all about controlling us Americans (we the people). Why do you think alcohol is legal but raw almonds are not?? Where is the freedom in America?? What about the seatbelt law?? A great law, only because it saves lives HOWEVER, some type of accidents happen in which if you did not have you seat belt on, you would live and be fine BUT IF you had your seat belt on, you would die. So, it should be our choice whether we wear the belt or not. Though the fact is that it is the law and we have to obey it (as Romans chapter 13 says). Yes, this is not a free country, though in many ways, freer than others. We have a lot to be thank ful for and we should leave it at that.

There is plenty to do about it, I think. Making a stink instead of lying down is a good start. Americans lie down too much and give up. I don’t care that I should be lucky to live in the U.S. The almond law is bogus and for financial gain. I stopped buying almonds with no problem.

I really do not think stopping buying almonds will solve anything. It is sad though. IT is completely for the sake of money. They can make money off of it now. Financial gain. HOWEVER, the whole “we the people” thing does not seem to fly anymore. I would say much much much more but I think I should not, for my sake as well as others.

• Hi shgadwa. Growers can sell raw almonds. I think it’s just businesses who meet some government entity’s definition of ‘retailer’ that aren’t allowed to. I will have to go back and research it again, but I’m pretty sure growers are allowed to sell them unpasteurized. I will post what I find here. Shouldn’t take but a few minutes.

All this government-ordered ‘killing of the good stuff in the food and the soil’ is just one of the reasons why I am third party (life-long-card-carrying L). Not trying to get all political or anything like that, but my body belongs to me, and no one, least of all the government, has a right to tell me what I can and cannot put into it. </rant>

Peace, love, and chlorophyll!
    :-)

P.S.
    Here’s an idea: let’s all start planting almond trees. Some of us can at least plant our own. Perhaps even share with others when they start to yeild nuts.

• Here is a page that explains the rules concerning the pasteurization of almonds:
    http://www.almondboard.com/files/Rule.pdf

The word I was looking for wasn’t ‘retailers’, it was ‘handlers’. People the government identifies as ‘handlers’ must pasteurize, but not the growers. I know it doesn’t make any sense. All I can say is, thank G-d for loopholes!

Here is a page which is a bit easier to read, that has info about the almond rules:
    http://wholesale-almonds.com/#Are%20Your%20Almonds%20Pasteurized

Excerpt:
    “Under legal precedence that dates back over 100 years we have a historical right as a farmer (grower) to sell produce directly off our ranch to you. We will defend this right at any cost! We are not “handlers” and we do not fall under the definitions of the new order!”

Hallelujah!
    :-)

Maybe I’ll buy two trees :) Thanks for the info. about the almond growers vs. handlers – I’ve been wondering about that.

Well, it is good them taht (I guess) blind guru was wrong. The video is on youtube. He says that there is a $20,000.00 fine for selling raw almonds but these people are selling them so that either means that they have not yet been caught (as they said they will fight for their rights) or that it is somewhat not true. good thing we can buy raw almons and the price is not that bad for almonds however, I will not be buying them as I see no point in putting $60.00 towards JUST almonds. I mean, think about how many heads of romain I could get, or how many bags of carrotts or discounted bananas. Again, raw food is something I found can be VERy expensive but does not ahve to be.

Here’s another question, do they pasturize all nuts? I can give up almonds since they are a fortune here anyway!

Luna blu – I read somewhere that a lot of nuts are heated, but still labelled as raw because they are not pasteurized. Pecans are steamed before they are taken out of their shells, so they will come out in neat halves instead of pieces.

shgadwa – hahaha I used to compare everything to bananas, when deciding whether to make an unnecessary purchase, I would say “I can buy a lot of bananas for $60.” Although I do use nuts & other things that can tend to be expensive, I try to get a good balance of nutrition with the most bang for my buck!

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

http://www.realrawfood.com/ Raw, organic, and unpasteurized nuts. Almonds are $11 for 1 pound, $50 for five pounds, and $270 for 30 pounds.

Realrawfood dot com, yes,I saw them last fall; I like those guys; I just couldn’t afford the shipping because they’re so far away. Maybe in a couple of months, I’ll be able to make a big order and make it worth it, because their foods looked very good to me. In the meantime, has anyone gotten their foods? I’d love an opinion.

Nuts online, got back to me and no their organic almonds are not pasturized. They also said that their other organic nuts are not treated in any way, except for the cashews for greater ease of shelling them. They had better not be B.S.ing me!

Thanks for the other sites! Now it is up to the cost of shipping!

• I found these two websites for nuts, but haven’t bought from either yet.

www.tierrafarm.com

www.nutsonline.com

I went to www.nutsonline.com and asked them if their organic raw nuts are truely raw. I haven’t heard back yet, but as soon as I do, I will let ya’ll know! Hopefully they don’t BS me!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

wholesale-almonds.com

unpasteurized. organic is an option. but i bought IMP ones. 10 lbs for $50. they ran a special so shipping was free. these also happen to be the best almonds i have EVER had. safe to freeze and enjoy for a while.

the ones on nutsonline seemed to be pasteurized.

Thanks for the info. about nutsonline. I just wanted to point out to anyone not aware, that the non-organic almonds ARE pasteurized. So to be safe on raw, I guess only the organic ones count.

• on nutsonline I there is a section with just organic items. Those say they are not pasteurized.

Actually nutsonline only say on the site “raw”, which in the nut industry means they are not toasted. They need to answer whether or not they know if their nuts have been steamed before shelling. I dont’ see this info anywhere.

Also, the price of their “raw” cashews reflects the normal price of “raw cashews” that have been boiled before shelling. Again “raw” means not toasted or roasted. Or did they tell you non of the nuts were heat-processed before shelling? We can’t assume organic means truly raw, because it’s never included that requirement.