Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw while camping

Does anyone have any ideas about what raw food to take camping?

For backpacking (where weight is important), dehydrated stuff is super easy to carry, but if it’s cold and/or wet in the evening, eating warm/cooked food really raises the spirit. I guess maybe hot tea would be the ticket?

For car camping, it’s easy to bring or obtain fresh fruits and veggies, but there’s still that ingrained “cooking over an open fire” mentality.

Has anyone had to deal with this? I’ve been kinda on, kinda off the raw food thing for a bit now but I’m really starting to try to get on 100% now and so I have lots of questions and I’m trying to predict areas where I might struggle. I’m sure it gets easier after a few months or a year of doing it.

Greg

Comments

• For cold evenings make some ginger tea: chop up or grate some ginger, put it in a jar of water and let it soak for a few hours, then add some honey or agave to taste and strain. It is super easy, delicious and really warms you up!

• Make raw smores. Mix some agave nectar with lucuma powder for marshmallow. Then, for a graham cracker, blend some Brazil nuts and almonds with agave nectar really well in your vita-mix until it’s like the pulp you get after straining almond milk. Spread into little rectangles on a tefle sheet, and dehydrate until crisp. For melted chocolate, blend some liquid coconut oil, cocoa powder, and agave nectar. Just sandwich some marshmallow and chocolate between the graham crackers, and there’s your raw smores! Hope this helps :)

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

I would HIGHLY recommend that you study about wild edibles. Then you can snack on various foods that are wildly harvested and usually better for you than what you buy at the store and most have medicinal properties. As far as tea, try pine needle tea. All evergreen trees (except for yew…that shrub with little red berries) are edible and VERY VERY medicinal. Try to stick with white pine though as it will taste better. White pine has 5 needles per “leaf” (as it is scientifically called).

Pine needle tea can be made by simply boiling a generous amount of water with a handful of pine needles. But to take advantage of all its vitamins (a cup of tea has the same amount of vitamin c as 5-6 lemons), boil the water, then add the pine needles, let it sit for a few hours and drink cold. Though for more of a medicinal effect, it is best to drink hot. I find that it is a great expectorant and it always makes be breathe better.

Study online or get some books from the library about wild edibles. There are tones of them. I would also recommend that you take some fruit, lots of water and maybe some veggies for afternoon snacks.

• When I think camping, I think barbeque and great side salads. When I went camping this summer, I made some raw salads even the non-raw eaters loved.
    Here they are;
    Morrocan Carrot Salad,
    shredded carrots
    raw walnuts
    raisins
    cumin
    cinnamon
    balsamic vinager
    olive oil

Corn Salad
    corn fresh off the cob
    red peppers
    cherry tomatoes halved
    red onion
    cilantro
    cumin
    salt and pepper

Fresh, light and yummy! Transports well in tupperware.

• Well maybe if you got dehydrated stuff you can rehydrate it. or if you got a bowl for prep and a grill grate you can make a steamer of sorts and use the steam to warm something up. Just be careful of the temps. Maybe pack a small instant read thermometer. I agree with the tea. Maybe attach a jar to your pack so it can catch the suns warmth and make a suntea as you go. You are multi-tasking. I guess you could do the same if you are on the water too.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I was thinking about this a while ago, & I decided that dehydrated food & herbal tea would work. The idea about learning about wild edibles is good, too, so you could have something fresh!

rawclaire, what is lucuma powder? I’ve never heard of it, but a raw smore would definitely help with the whole camping tradition thing. Also, how would you melt the cacao butter if camping?

• 2 small bowls and some water. A make shift double boiler ;).

Thanks, Chris S – good idea!

• Angie – lucuma powder is some type of fruit that has been powdered and dried. I’m not totally sure, but 123 told me about this, he said makes marshmallows with it. He/ she gave a web address for it, I’ll provide this soon. Also, the melted chocolate didn’t have cacao butter in it, but coconut oil. That’s easy to melt, just put some in a bowl beside the fire and stir. Hope this helps:)

rawclaire – oops! I guess I was used to seeing you use cacao butter in your chocolate recipes & I didn’t read carefully. Thanks – please do post the website about the lucuma powder. I’m wanting to go camping now, & drooling over raw smores :)

GregX999 – It does get easier, but it is still good to plan ahead.

• Lots of good ideas here. Thanks!
    But what’s lucuma powder?

Greg

Yeah, rawclaire, do you have that website yet for the lucuma powder? My health food store hadn’t heard of it but said they will try to order it in for me (if the company sells it wholesale).

rawclaire – also, I tried to make the graham crackers (I soaked almonds & Brazil nuts & blended them with a little water & agave & then put them in the dehydrator). They are just falling apart and not like crackers at all. I thought if I put more agave they would just be sticky & never get crunchy. I think I may try it with dates, or look up the graham cracker recipe I think I saw once on this site. Any other help?

• yes, ok angie here’s the website : www.iherb.com (Navitas Brand) Yeah, that graham cracker recipe I hadn’t tried yet, I just threw out an idea. maybe after soaking the nuts, dehydrate them for a few hours (or I guess as long as you want) and then blend them to a flour. Then I would add a little coconut oil (melted) and agave, then you wouldn’t have to add water. It should be a dough. Then dehydrate into rectangles. It might turn out more like a cookie, but it’s something. Also, maybe adding a little flaxseed would dp some good. Yes, I will check out that graham cracker recipe on this site! :)

Greg – lucuma powder is a dried fruit that has been ground to a powder. I’m not sure what fruit, but it makes a good marshmallow! :)

rawclaire – thanks! I just thought of adding flaxseed after my last post. Also, I couldn’t find a graham cracker recipe, just a graham cracker crust. I think I’ll try my recipe again & just add a little ground flax to stick it together before I dehydrate it. I put some vanilla in it, too, and a tiny bit of cinnamon, but it still just tasted like almonds – not graham crackers. Maybe I’ll use less or just leave out the almonds. Anytime I use agave in things, it doesn’t dry out, and coconut oil just gets runnier in the dehydrator. Thanks for the ideas, though! I’ll post it if I ever do come up with a good recipe :)

• I made almond cookies out of almond pulp (from making milk), maple syrup (I use maple syrup usually in my recipes even though it’s not raw), and coconut oil. It came out great! coconutoil didn’t make them soft or anything. It was the fastest any of my stuff has ever dried (overnight) So without almonds and with brazil nuts it should come out ok!

Yeah, maple syrup does dry out; I’m just not using it now that I’m trying to eat all raw – good to know it worked with the coconut oil in it, though.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

When I went camping the first time raw it was really difficult as I had not prepared properly. Because you’re mostly outside you can get a good appetite and crave warm filling food to keep warm. If I was to go now, I would dehydrate curried veggies that I can pour warm water over and add a little oil to the mix for a nice soup. I would also take lots of dried flax crackers, dried fruit and nuts and then just eat local fresh foods like salads etc. I found just buying salad bags out of the supermarket quite convenient and you can add some wild greens to it. Some raw chocolate bars would be good too. I’d also make an oil dressing before I left and keep cool if the climates right for that. Ground sesame seeds can be made into a rather course tahini for salad dressing. And I would take lots of spicy ginger tea bags with me.

• marcellmarcell Raw Newbie

Im planning a 2 Month Bike Tour this summer with wild camping, I got the same Problem, I was thinking about making alot of Nutbars with Agave and some saltey ones to take along, well when theyr gone I dont know what Im gonna eat lol, but I guess Ill figure it out then

• Damn! A 2 month bike tour? That’s a lot of riding! I have a touring-type road bike that I got last year, but I haven’t done any touring with it yet. I was thinking a week would be a decent tour. :)

• marcellmarcell Raw Newbie

im not planning on riding around all day, its more like ride around some, find a nice place to camp, stay a couple of days and move on you know? im not planning on going crazy with the bike, it should be some kind of holiday after all :)

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

What are everyone’s feeling about raw bars? like rawpower, larabars, etc? I’ve found that while these are wasteful in packaging, they are a great last resort for dayhikes and short weekend trips that I can pick up at the store on the way out.

Also, packing ziploc bags chockfull of powdered greendrinks is really helpful

I know we’d all love to make our own everything, and eat wild everything, but lets’ face it, my friends and I decide within minutes of taking off for a weekend, so some of the above stuff just works great!