Immune system shocked?

Hello Everyone-
I became a vegetarian 9 months ago-then a vegan- then RAW. I had been raw for 2 weeks-then BAM I got really really sick with the flu. Now, I am a teacher and alot of students and teachers have had this bug at school. However I usually just get a sore throat or something mild. Well this time I was so sick I missed 4 days of work and slept most of the time.

I must tell you that when I went RAW I did not transition into it. I went 100% just like that! I’m just wondering if my immune system was at a low in that 2 week period. So now I am feeling better and I ate a baked potato -plain today just to build strength. Many of you have much more experience than I-What is your opinion-Do you think people should transition into this lifestyle? or is it OK to just switch over like I did? I’m thinking that my immune system went through some sort of shock. I plan on going back to 100% RAW tomorrow.

I want to add that I feel fanatastic eating Raw-I have used many of the recipes from this site and have purchased some great RAW books. This forum has been a wonderful experience. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Comments

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I’m sure you were already eating many raw foods before going 100%. I think it might just be a bad flu and a coincidence. I’m sort of new to this, but I’d like to see other replies too.

• The same exact thing happened to me last week. I am never home from work sick maybe once every 2 years or so… and if that maybe home 1 day. But last week I was sick from saturday to thursday. There is also a flu going around here. Although I was 2 weeks 100% and then the week before the flu about 80%. I don’t know… but all sickness is detox. So maybe the body, after being exposed to the bug, just pulled out all the stops. ?? I don’t know. But when coming out of this sickness I really felt like my body was new. I don’t know whether or not your sickness was from a bug or maybe you just had a rough detox. Many people detox with flu symptoms when starting out with raw… I have read.

• Hey guys – thanks for your input-I’m just hoping that it was a coincidence. I’d still like to hear more opinions. :)

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Hey rawcakes – I had two flu-like episodes in the first months after going raw and I also went raw cold-turkey. I had headaches, fever, aches – was bedridden for a couple of days each time, and it wasn’t flu season so it think it was detox. To be quite honest I’m only now feeling really good and I’ve been raw since July 07. I was getting really discouraged since I wasn’t feeling energized and elated, I just felt tired and yucky. But I think I’ve hit my first plateau and I believe there will be many more to come. At the moment there’s viruses all around me and I haven’t gotten more than the tiniest sore throat which passes within hours, so I think my immune system has gotten a major boost. If you can, stick with it!!

• amysue-thanks-it helps for me to hear that others have had the same experience. I am definately sticking with it. I feel so great on RAW I don’t think I would even consider eating the way I used to.:)