raw curious

locustgirllocustgirl Raw Newbie

hi raw food people! i’m a new girl here… what initially brought me to this site is my decision to embark on a spring cleanse that entails eating raw vegetables and fruit for 3 weeks (with herbal supplements). it is exciting for me to see all the creativity and care that has gone into so many of the recipes on this site, and i am looking forward to trying many of them (and posting some of my own creations too!). so far i have made some dehydrated zucchini chips with salt and pepper which i absolutely love. i’m a hiker girl too, so dehydrating is a must for me. i also work for a holistic doctor who uses nutrition in his practice and being able to source recipes here for patients who have special needs like grain, dairy, and/or nut intolerances is also a blessing.

i’ve been studying healing and nutrition since 1994. i’m an artist/adventurer (ex-acupressure therapist) living in san francisco. i’m definitely food freaky and always looking for a good recipe. i get much pleasure out of kitchen and home remedy experiments. the foundation of my diet over the past several years has based on weston a. price principles (native nutrition). i am not vegetarian, vegan, or full on going raw, but i would like to broaden my horizons by incorporating more raw food in my diet. the source of my nutrition comes mostly from local organic/biodynamic farms which also includes local pasture-raised animal products. so nix on the factory farms and corporate agriculture and support of sustainable ways is perhaps a shared value…soaking and sprouting grains, beans, and nuts fall into traditional preparation of food so i think we are on the same page with that one, and fermenting fruits and vegetables is also one too?

so, as a newbie and still being rather ingnorant of the raw food communities at this point, out of shear curiosity (and i certainly do not mean to offend anyone), may i please ask… are raw foodists generally vegan? or do any of you use raw butter, raw milk, egg yolk, sushi etc.?

looking forward to hanging out with you folks! thanks again for such a great resource and splendid recipes,

sabine.

Comments

• hi sabine,

there are definitely raw foodists who consume raw dairy and meat products. this particular site is vegan, and i think most raw foodists are raw vegan, or 100% vegan 80% raw, or 80% raw vegan, 20% whole food. personally, i just finished a 30 day trial, and tried eating some cooked and non vegan food, and it didn’t agree with me. so, i’m going back to 95% raw, as in pretty much always raw but not into smuggling dressings into restaurants.

i live in sf as well. you might be interested in SF life and SF young and raw (i don’t know your age, but it’s for young raw foodists in their 20’s & 30’s.) i agree that sustainable agriculture is the most important thing, more so than keeping 100% raw.

• Hey Sabine! Welcome to Gone Raw. It is great that you wish to broaden your horizons and try out something new (pretty much what got me interested in Raw but I started out Vegetarian). It is great that you get your food from local organic sources! It is hard to get to find a good organic source but I try and have as much organic in my diet as possible. I am unsure about fermenting fruits.

As mandelicious says some raw foodists do eat dairy and meat, it just depends on what you feel is best for you. Many people have combinations as already mentioned. I was vegetarian before I discovered raw, and am slowly transitioning into the raw diet. However, I can’t promise that I’ll not have a piece of cheese from time to time (I love cheese!).

Nice to meet you :)

• locustgirllocustgirl Raw Newbie

thanks for the welcomes lovlies… found sf life. i tried to look up sf young to no avail. send the link? would like to pot luck a bit. cheers, sabine.

• locustgirllocustgirl Raw Newbie

hi lynzemarie! i would be happy to share resources with you. right now the doc i work for uses the nourishing traditions diet (primarily), a 3 week raw food cleanse (standard process purification kit) for some patients with cancer, arthritis… and the gut and psychology syndrome diet for those with gut issues (ibs, autism, asthma, crohn’s, and others). i don’t know if it is kosher to post personal websites on this forum but if you want to email me with a few more details of what you would like to know i can give you more info.