Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw foodists-eat MORE nuts?

RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

Is the daily requirement of nut-intake different for raw foodists? I know people say to eat at least a small handful of nuts every day, no more, no less. Being a raw foodist, if you do eat more, will you put weight on, or is eating more nuts an exception for a raw foodist. Is it a good idea to eat more nuts to get more protein (And I don’t mean out of control, but maybe two or three extra handfuls)?

Comments

• I don’t think you would have to eat more for protein. I get a lot of protein from bee pollen and hemp seeds or hemp protein powder. I do like some nuts so I eat them every few days but when i eat a lot it seems to slow me down.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

i really think it varies with the individual body type, activity level, general lifestyle, etc. a handful is a good starting point, but if you find nuts make you feel heavy, either try soaking them or eating less. if you feel you need more, by all means eat more.

• I would say to listen to your body. It will tell you what to eat. It might take a bit of time to tweak your listening skills. By that I mean you may eat too many and feel bloated. Then other times, you may feel like nuts with the same amount as before working well one time but not other times. If you can tune yourself to your body’s needs, you don’t need daily requirement recommendations.

On the other hand, you can start with daily requirements, but don’t shut off to what your body is telling you.

• I go to the gym 4+ days/ week, plus I bike and walk everywhere. So my activity level is pretty high, but I never eat nuts! I think (imo) nuts are an overrated food item by many raw foodists. I just don’t feel they’re necessary-(please don’t think I’m being rude, because that is not my intention) Your body will speak to you and let you know what it needs and maybe nuts will be something it calls for. I know my experiences with nuts have been horrendous and painful. So, I’m not speaking for anybody but myself. Then again are nuts really raw?

• I would say a handful a day is enough, but as the others say listen to your body! Nuts are very high in calories, 100 grams are like 600 calories, and I think a big handful of them is equal with this amount. I love nuts, but if you don’t wnat to put on weight be careful with them.