Holistic or natural veterinarians??

coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Have any of you gone this route? Just interested in feedback. I have a kitty that I may need to get in within the next day or 2 here and I’m looking into finding a more natural veterinarian. Just curious if anyone has had the experience. Thanks!

Comments

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

My vet is not holistic or natural but is open to alterntive therapys… that may be easier to find. i use chiropractic and massage and acupuncture on all my animals and some pretty darn good suppliments too. Kitty is on a herbal suppliment to balance out its crazy old cat metabolism and horses all get omegas from a nice human grade flax supp. dogs on the best quality dry doggie food i could come up with and i notice they just dont seem to need the vet as much! plus i dont vaccinate regularly …i do blood titers at their annual to check their immunitys but if there is no need then they dont get the vaccine..

• Hello! I think it’s awesome that people care about their pets as much as their own bodies. Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one… People laugh at me when I tell them how well my dog and cat eat and are taken care of. Omshanti, what dry food do you feed your dog? And what do you feed your cat? I’m just curious cause I want them to have the best. Right now I’m feeding them both Great Life. http://www.1doctorschoice.com/GreatLifeDogFood…. I was feeding them Natural Balance a while ago but then I started shopping at this small local pet store and the owner used to be a rep for a mainstream dog food company. He told me all sorts of stuff about different types of dog and cat foods so I switched. Great Life uses human grade food and they don’t cook anything, it’s all freeze dried. So the veggies in it don’t lose they’re nutrients and there aren’t any nasty glues or anything in it to give them “fake” solid stool. Feeding our pets food from most grocery stores is like feeding them McDonalds everyday. IT NEEDS TO STOP!

• Hi Coconutty,

Last January my cat was really sick, no energy, not eating and just looking very sad. I waited for some days and then took him to a ‘regular vet’. What a horrible experience, we were there for 5 minutes and he already gave him a hormone injection without even asking my permission. This never worked for my cat and just cost him more energy. Whem I came home I felt so terrible, that I googled untill I found a Holistic vet, I had to wait a few days before I could visit.Even just on the phone, she was so friendly and interested in my cat. ANd more important listening to what was wrong with him. It was 4 times the price of the regular one, but she treated my cat for more than one hour. Measuring his organs, acupunture and 3 different kinds of drops. When we left the practice he was already more energetic. I was very strict with the drops and now he is doing great. He is an older ‘baby boy’ but I will never go to a regular vet anymore. They just give something (an injection before you can even say no) to make the owner feel happier and releaved because something is done. I am sorry if there are grammar mistakes, i am Dutch so English isn’t my mother tongue. Good luck with your kitty! XXX

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

hi ducky…i feed natural balance salmon and sweet potatoe kibble, however we are trying the kitty on natures variety raw chicken and she is gobbling it up…if she thrives we may even switch the dogs…my concern is the whole meaty bone thing…our huskys dont play nice in the sand box so leaving two meaty bones out there for the morning would lead to panemonium. (god forbid if a pet sitter had to deal with it…)now my sweet spaniel boys, they may be ok..we’ll see how we do with miss kitty first. as is we have to feed her 5 small meals a day cause i dont want that stuff unrefridged for to long….

• I’m looking for a holistic veterinarian too! :)