Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

new and bloating like crazy

locustgirllocustgirl Raw Newbie

i think it could be the broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts. what do you all usually do? also, any tricks to keep up the digestive fire? thanks!

Comments

• JDJD

I had a cruciferous issue not too long ago. Actually the posters on this forum helped me figure it out. Kale was the culprite. I just weaned off and slowly re-introduced it. Worked like a charm.

• I’m bloating to the point that I’m afraid a friend is going to ask me if I remember going to any parties or waking up in odd places if i wear something that fits close to my hips! For a girl who’s body goes straight from hip bone to hip bone, this is very very weird. I haven’t been eating a lot of cruciferous veggies, just a lot of fruits, mainly citrus (I have a flu) and bananas with green leafy salads and avocado quite often. I might have to try that papaya enzyme… I have bikini photos next week and I need to be in swimsuit condition or show up starving so I won’t bloat for sure….

• drink lots of water and avoid sodium foods (celery, sea salt, nama shoyu, etc.) and eat potassium rich foods (like the ones you just described, avocado, banana, apple)

• I avoid cruciferous veggies like the plague. Works every time;)

• Keep in mind how much of these veg. you are eating and how fast you eat them.Also if you are not use to these foods you should start out slowly.

• CHEW!! To quote someone: “Your stomach has no teeth”

(This advice comes from personal experience!!)

• Nicci that was the same for me before going raw! One important advice is to leave your body time to adapt to eating a lot of raw food.

• Poor food combining could be the problem. I can’t find the thread where food combining is discussed, but this chart is helpful:

http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/foodcombining.html

I like complex meals, but they always make me bloat up. If I eat a date-nut brownie, I walk around for the rest of the day looking pregnant. Papaya digestive enzymes seem to help. I found some chewable tablets for about 4 dollars.

• Oh yes,

All those veggies are EXTREMELY gassy! :-) Even when they are cooked, never mind raw. Just avoid them and focus on more tender, easier to digest veggies:

tender, mild greens: romaine, iceberg, red leaf and green leaf, butter, baby spinach

tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchinis (peel first) etc..

also, eat less things at each meal. the less ingredients your meals have the easier they are to digest.

Blessings,

Audrey www.rawhealing.com

• ginger helps with digestive fire.

i think veggies aren’t really necessary to a raw diet—i’m talking true veggies. the body really does seem to do well with fruits (sweet and savory) and greens and a minimal amount of fat—that’s how chimpanzees eat!

• cumin, coriander, cinnaon, nutmeg and chili are gret for good digestion, try to use them when you eat cruciferous veggies. Blending them may also help. If you still have these problem with them, try to eat other veggies, and after some time when you get used to the fiber, you can try them again.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I think I’m having triplets!!!! This is crazy, though I have had raw broccoli the past 2 days and yesterday 2 pices of blueberry crumble that uses psyllium as a thickener. Today, all I have had is a pear, 1/2 a banana and some raw pistachios about 3 hours after the fruit. I have waves of stomach pain and tremendous bloating. Even when i barely eat, my stomach is totally full and bloated all night, making sleep difficult. Sometimes i am soothed with DGL. I’m listening and the body is saying don’t eat.

• Hey all, I have been very high raw recently 95-100% and have had the “bloats” too. For me it’s not gas, it’s fluid retention all over? I have knocked off sea salt and celery but I have no idea if this is part of a detox effect? It’s going away very slowly and is more than creepy. Any ideas to what this may be or how long it may last? Funny thing is, I have less detox skin issues than I did last time I went 100%! Anything I should eat specifically or stay way from? Thanks for any advice!

• all these things will help, but also try taking digestive enzymes. THEY WILL HELP!! i like the brand enzymedica digest or digest gold. good luck!

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

locustgirl – in my case I bloated like crazy in the beginning no matter what I ate – I attribute it to candida cleansing because it all came back when I did a serious candida cleanse. The food was irrelevant, every evening especially my stomach was tight. It did pass, though, in more ways than one, unfortunately, but you might just have to wait it out.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

locustgirl: What some people to do make these hard cruciferous veggies more digestible is massaging them, either with Himalayan Crystal Salt, or a combination of lemon juice and olive oil.

Another thing to try is a glass of water w/the juice of half a lemon 20-30 minutes before a meal. Apple cider vinegar will help increase stomach acid, too.

Lastly, according to study done by Victoria Boutenko in “Green For Life”, 2/3 people who did green smoothies increased their production of HCL significantly. :)

• cleanse your colon! waste and gases building up in the small intestine…colosan is excellent for this is you don’t want to do a colonic

• Broccoli and cruciferous veggies are very bloating.

One natural thing you can do is add cayenne pepper to your diet, especially 90,000 HU (heat units) cayenne. It builds HCL in your stomach and helps digestion immensely.