Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Coconut oil of Butter?

RawKarateGirlRawKarateGirl Raw Newbie

Which one do you put on your face?

Comments

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

I believe that coconut oil and coc0nut butter are the same things. The same coconut oil that you eat can be used on your skin.

• Yes, coconut oil and coconut butter are the same, but sometimes coconut butter is meant to mean the coconut meat ground up with the oil. So it’s best to use a jar labeled “oil” insteaad of “butter”

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

No, they aren’t the exactly same thing.

Coconut butter is the meat and the oil together. Coconut oil is just the oil sans meat.

The oil is more meant for the skin. Coconut butter is more for eating. But it won’t hurt to use it on your skin. I think the skin is only going to absorb the oil though.

• yes, artisana makes a coconut butter which is like a nut butter, only the nut is matura coconut meat. it is awesome and a great subtitute for young coconut meat if you want to avoid the formaldehyde soaked tragedies. but on your face, use a jar labeled coconut oil.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Yes queenfluff is right! Coconut butter is like almond butter for instance. They take the meat of the coconut and blend it into a nut butter. You will look a little wierd walking around with that on your face!:)

I am sorry, but I really think the formeldahyde thing is a myth. The last young coconut I bought, I shaved off as much of the husk and made it into a little change dish. It is now the colour of a mature coconut. Brown. I think it is a myth. Unless you have concrete evidence, ie. seen them bobbing in a vat of formaldahyde, then don’t believe it! plus I rarely get them anyway. Really hard to find sometimes!

• RawKarateGirlRawKarateGirl Raw Newbie

Thank you!

• I don’t know what they dip the coconuts in, but when they do, you can tell because the coconuts smell like a bathroom that somebody just did diarrhea in. But the meat is really harmless, I don’t think those chemicals get into the meat.

• unfortunately, i have no access to coconut factories, so i can’t see them bobbing in formaldehyde! i don’t have any trouble finding them in san francisco, but i don’t buy them except when they have organic ones at my health food co-op.

but that’s not the only reason to use the artisana coconut butter instead, it’s just way easier to scoop something out of a ja than to break into a coconut! of course, i just love that water soooo much… sigh…

• hey all, check this out:

http://www.rawfoodchat.com/forums/984-post3.html

matt amsden sent a thai coconut to a lab and found NO formaldehyde!

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Awesome!!! Thanks mandelicious.