Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Instead of nuts

Hi- I want to make the new mac and cheese recipe posted earlier today, but the cheddar sauce is making me pause… there’s a lot of nuts in it. Does anyone have an idea on a way to make it taste creamy and yummy with fewer nuts?

Comments

• You might be able to sub the nuts for some soaked and dried sprouted grain with a bit of avocado to make up for the creaminess. You could also try seeds (maybe sunflower, hemp or pumpkin). If you try this, let us know how it goes! I don’t digest nuts well so I’m always looking for recipes that don’t use them.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

You could use zucchini as the main ingredient and add about a tablespoon of soaked sunflower seeds or pine nuts. Also, avocado or olive oil will make it creamier.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I also worry about nuts, but this week I have decided to not worry. I have had about a 1/2 a cup of almonds or walnuts for the last 5 days and I have actually lost another 2 pounds!

I think the key, is the fact that I challenged myself to go 100% raw for 1 week. (at first, if it goes well I will give it one more week, and so on) I haven’t even so much as looked at anything cooked! Not even one chip, nothin. I think if you are ready to go 100%, I really think a bit of nuts now and then are not going to hurt you!! Even if you are 75 to 80% raw for that matter.

I have ordered truly raw nuts on line from Real Raw Food. I have spoken to them and the reason they started their company is becasue they wanted good really raw stuff for themselves. They have been high raw for 3 years and can tell if something is not truly raw by the way they feel after they eat it! Really nice folks that deal closely with the farms that supply them.

If your nuts are true raw, making the mac and chees recipe once in a while the way it is, is not going to hurt you. Unless you actually hate nuts, and then you can desregard my whole message! :)

• Thanks guys

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

If you are going to use seeds, I would use sunflower – pumpkin seeds have a strong taste & don’t seem to blend up as creamy.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I find sunflower seeds to be a little bitter when blended up! Mde a pate with them and hated it!

• Luna blu, it may be rancid! My sunflower seeds have never beeen bitter even if I blended them! But my flaxoil had been bitter several times and it was rancid.

• Yeah rancid fats are way icky if you ask me. Death to old seeds. To the compost pile I say.