raw company?

juicyjuicy Raw Newbie

I was in a health food store today and couldn’t help but notice the total lack of raw cookies, crackers, etc. Pretty much anything you can buy that is still raw. Most people have trouble staying raw because the food is not accessible, however if more raw products were in stores I’m sure it would help! Which lead me to think about starting a company which sells raw goods…obviously I would initially be the one to make them so I need to get some experience in the raw cuisine world, however I am looking for suggestions/advice/opinions on this possible venture.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Sounds like a great idea! Where do you live? You could start by opening a raw restaurant, and then sell some of your products at grocery stores like Whole Foods (make sure to sell them at a health store called Roots in Clarksville, MD!) like raw ice creams, snacks, cookies and crackers, even pies and cakes. You could set up a website for people to order things. I will buy your products!

• Another idea, for those of us with zero culinary skills, is to promote raw food companies that are already out there. It wasn’t that long ago that it was next to impossible to buy Larabars unless you special ordered them. Now, Larabars are sold at 4 out of the 5 grocery stores in my town. Perhaps we could write letters and become promoters of our favorite raw goods to help convince more stores to carry them.

And, Juicy, I’ll buy your stuff. I would love to find raw bread that’s tasty and affordable.

• juicyjuicy Raw Newbie

Thanks for the support! I would love to open a raw restaurant, however I don’t think I am ready for that level of commitment. I just have no idea how to start selling products that I make- farmer’s markets? approaching health food stores? setting up a website? all of this is unchartered territory on my behalf.

Justine- I completely agree- supporting those trying to make it in this chemical-laden food world is essential!

• You could do farmer’s markets. Also, I know some people selling food on etsy. While doing that, you could go around to the local stores and offer a free sample to the owner’s along with a price sheet and business card.

You may want to check local regulations. I know around here, you can’t just prep stuff in your kitchen and sell it. You need a professional kitchen and license(though you could rent use of another company’s kitchen.)

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

juicy, i opened a raw food unbakery out here in CA it was alot of paperwork and a sizable investment. but i started at farmers markets, which are fun but not to profitable, then i hit the pavement and the smallish health food stores and yoga studios..the big chains want tons of product for next to nothing sooo beware! i by myself could never meet demand nor provide small prices for bulk product(think ten thousand units for their 12 stores on the west coast).... my best customers are the yoga studios….hope to be a regular at a two store chain soon, so far they have only carried two items for a trial run even though they like my items and packaging!

• Awesome omshanti! Just out of curiosity, what kind of things do you sell at your unbakery?

• juicyjuicy Raw Newbie

omshanti- would you mind swapping emails so I could ask you more questions about this? mine is cclark49@uwo.ca

Thanks!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

rawclaire check out my website, www.granolasspecialtyfoods.com

juicy feel free to contact me