Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

breastfeeding

Hi I’m new to this raw thing and I’m still breastfeeding. I woman gave me piece of her mind last night. In my opinion she’s just ignorant but I’m curious if any of you have done it. Is it ok? Is there something I should know? Should I eat more?

Comments

• Hi, welcome!

I “discovered” raw halfway through this pregnancy (due on Thursday!), so I’ve had similar concerns and it’s more than a little frustrating. The first thing you should be aware of is that suddenly going 100% raw will cause a large detox of your body. I’ve read too many things that suggest that this is NOT a good thing to do whilst breastfeeding, because all the toxins you were storing semi-sefely in your body get sent straight to the baby through your breastmilk (if pregnant, down the umbilical cord). Because you have no real way of knowing what substances your body will get rid of, or the effect they may have on your fast-developing baby, it therefore makes sense to make sure you take it somewhat slowly, by steadily decreasing the things you know you want to get rid of and increasing the good stuff. Might not be what you want to hear (me neither!) but still.

Don’t let people tell you raw is unhealthy for your baby! It is probably the best thing you can do nutrition-wise, which obviously you already know or you wouldn’t be doing it. But, whilst it seems like a contradiction (“I can’t eat quite as healthily as I would like because I’m pregnant/breastfeeding”), the detox is the big reason to be careful and cautious. The other thing to be aware of of course is that any change in diet (even a small one!) can cause the baby to temporarily reject your milk, so another reason to take it slowly! How old is your baby? Once they are on plenty of solids (preferably raw, of course!) and not relying on your milk so completely then you have more freedom to get on with it a bit faster. Plenty of people decide to “transition” slowly into raw anyway, so as not to experience an enormous detox (which can make you feel pretty ill and weak!) so you wouldn’t be alone.

As for eating more, if you do decide to take it slowly then I wouldn’t worry about this at all, just eat to your hunger (even if it takes a lot to fill you up!). I’d also say that probably the best tip – even whether you do nothing else at all! – is to start drinking green smoothies. And remember it’s as much about what you DON’T eat as what you do…

Good luck.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I’m very proud of you. I have 3 teens and if i knew then what I know now…I agree with ex-pat Katie. Take it slow, perhaps following David Wolfe’s transition recommendations. You will be a wonderful role model of healthy eating for your children and they will follow your lead. My oldest 2 are lost in a world of white flour, organic kettle chips and pizza, but the youngest could easily be the next rawclaire. Check out some of her recipes if you don’t see her posts yet-she’s 13!

• Another suggestion is to pump your milk and store it before you start your transition that way if you do feel as if you are starting to detox you can give “good” breastmilk…but this would only work if you would be comfortable introducing a bottle.

• Wow thanks for the advice all. I’m not sure what to do though. I’m on day 4 of 100% raw. I decided to go cold turkey. The last thing I want to do is hurt my baby. I thought it would be the best thing for him.

I had a bit of a head ache for a few days and yesterday I felt a bit sick. What should I look for, how will I know if I’m detoxing? Is it possible that it’s over? I really don’t want to start cooked food again.

Congrats on the baby Katie. And Izhpt I wish I could be a good role model for my kids too. My 5 year old stared out a vegetarian like I was before and now he’s more interested in what my fiancee feeds him. I’m hoping to eventually turn them all but sadly the other day I mad gaspacho and I caught my boyfriend heating it on the stove. Guess I have a long way to go.

• I asked a similar question back when my daughter was only a few months old. Someone asked me, “What’s worse, the possible toxins she may get for a short detox period or the constant toxins she is getting from my cooked diet?” That said, it’s been a slow transition for me, mostly because I’m not good at the cold turkey thing.

I think since you’ve been 100% raw for 4 days already, adding in cooked foods won’t help you. Make sure you are getting healthy fats and enough calories to ensure a steady milk supply, and I think you are good. I would also avoid any time of fasting, including juice feasting, until you are done nursing.

• Ok thanks, that makes a lot of sence to me. I’m sure I’m not missing in calories cause I eat whenever I’m hungry and I eat a few avacodo’s a day + some nuts. Hope that’s enough. Baby hasn’t rejected my milk and is eating regularly (same as b4).

Thank you for the advice. Everone has been so helpfull and nice.

• Montreal mommy please keep me updated on how you are doing. I’m going to go 100% raw starting tomorrow but i am also a breastfeeding momma! I do give my son a bottle at night w/ extra breastmilk because i have a 14lb two month old!I have extra milk in the morning because he sleeps all night (yea for me) but by night time he acts like he wants that extra milk back…i am trying to cut that out though because of the plastic bottle issue! So let me know if you experiance any bad detox symptoms and what you decided to do about them!

• just wanted to chime in—i started eating 100% raw 4 days ago also and am still breastfeeding my 2 year old son. i was also concerned about the toxins being excreted into my breastmilk. after doing some reading and following my gut, i went raw. i’m watching him closely for any symptoms due to my eating raw. so far, we’re both sleeping much better and we both seem to have more energy. i’m so glad to hear that others are in the same boat!

• Wow so cool to have some people living the same thing as me. My son doesn’t seem affected at all, so far anyway. He’s 2 and a half months and he’s eating the same as b4. I, on the other hand have stayed pretty much raw for a week now. I had a few packages of salad dressing that I don’t think were raw but that’s about it. I’m not sure what all the symptoms of detox are but the main thing is that I’m extremely emotional. I cry for nothing and am very irritable. Another strage thing is that my period started when with my last son it took til he was 7 months. He does get an occational bottle though so that could be it. I’m doing my best to stick to my 30 day commitment then I’ll see how I feel.

How’s it going with u2? You know you can get glass bottles.

• hi! just checking in… how are you guys doing?

montrealmommy, have your moods evened out? maybe you were emotional because your hormone levels were changing, due to your period returning. i also think that your period returning earlier has to do with bottle feeding (from what i have heard).

i think my moods have evened out since i went raw. i’ve noticed that my milk supply has actually INCREASED, which really surprised me. my son is loving it and nursing more. neither of us has shown signs of detox, but i’m feeling great and am really happy about the raw choice!

hope things are going better for you!

• Hi. So my mood has not evened out at all. But from what I’m reading, this is not bad news. All part of detox. It’s awefull. I cry at night alone. I feel pathetic. I’m not usually a cryer. My poor fiancee has to deel with me letting everything out that has ever bothered me about him. I feel so depressed but today is day 9 and I have to admit, I’m pretty proud of myself for getting this far. I’m commited to seing it through.

The baby is doing gr8. He’s beautiful and perfect and just the happiest baby in the world… well in my world anyway.

I’m really glad to hear that you’re doing well. I’ve read that some people have more detox symptoms than other. Hopefully you were pretty healthy to begin with. In my case, I used to be a bartender and would drink alot. My body must be ridding itself of all that poison. Can’t wait to feel better.

So glad to have found this site to share experiences.

• i know this can be difficult, and i’m sure there are others who have felt the way you feel. it definitely sounds like detox. try to get some fresh air, exercise and sunshine. please post if you need support or help, or to find someone to just listen. hang in there… you’re doing great!

• I am feeling much better now. No more crying. I have a bit af a cold but I hear that’s pretty normal after the second week. Besides that, I’m doing gr8 and looking forward to feeling even better.