Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How much $ do you spend?

RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

On the raw diet, how much money do you usually spend on groceries per week?

Comments

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

A lot. Couldn’t give you an exact figure, but a lot more than I used to, BUT, I go a little crazy with high quality superfoods and herbs so I go a bit beyond basic raw food. I also hardly ever go out to eat, it’s just not appealing anymore so there’s that savings. When I socialize with friends it’s usually over tea because it’s the company that matters, and tea is cheap! And I’m thinking I’m going to save on medical bills in the long run…

• SarahJSarahJ Raw Newbie

I shop for myself and usually spend about $40/week on fruits and vegetables (not 100% organic), then another $25 or so for nuts, seeds, dried fruits, powders, etc (all organic). This fluctuates with time of year. My thoughts are to really stock up this summer when all of the fruits and vegetables come into season and freeze as much as possible. Living in southern Ontario, produce in the summer is abundant and reasonable.

• It varies. This week I went shopping at Whole Foods for the 1st time – loved it, but spent $190…! But then last week I spent maybe $60. I aim to keep my budget around $100/week to feed 1 adult and 2 kids.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

About $100 per week on food for myself. Here’s the breakdown (not organic): $15 greens: lettuce, herbs, kale, collard greens $15 in shell nuts, tahini, raw agave, mechanically hulled sesame seeds, sunflower seeds $20 fruits: bananas, bag oranges, apples, watermelon, berries $20 vegetables: carrots, sugar snap peas, root veggies, cucumbers $10 bulk raw olives, fresh salsa, misc $20 gormet raw food ingredients – flax, sprouts, special nuts, tomatoes to dehydrate, etc

-I spend about the same as when I was vegan – I used to purchase prepacked vegan products (tofurky, soy cheese, etc) AND produce, so it is no more expensive to be raw. I don’t buy organic in winter, as it is unaffordable. In summer/fall I participate in an organic food coop, and receive plenty of organic produce for $19/week.

Typically I spend $80-$100 for one person in winter.
  • shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

It varies. It try to get mostly organic and not to eat too much things like honey and olive oil. Though I do eat enough olive oil as well as sunflower seeds and 2-4 avocados a week to ensure that i am getting enough fats. I can spend $25.00 and have enough food to live off of but that is probably because I still am living with my parents who buy some food and other necessities such as toilet paper and such. Usually though, i end up spending $50.00 or so per week but I can keep it down to $25.00 if I am low on money.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Also, I love foraging. Through the winter, I have gathered pine needles for pine needle tea and when it gets warmer, I will gather other things. This saves money. Also, it would be wise to start your seeds now to get a jump on your garden. I started all my seeds including some lettuce, collard, cabbage and such so that when it comes time for transplant, they will almost be ready to eat.

• worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

70-100 a week all organic except for jalepeno peppers. all whole foods.

• A year ago I spent at least $100 a week on food just for myself. I’m sure it is probably more than that now. I’ll have to save all my receipts for a week and check it out.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Money is no object to me, my health is too important. I don’t spend a crazy amount, but enough. It might be around 70-100 a week, maybe less.

I spend way less in the summer thanks to my garden!!!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

It depends on my budget & my ever-changing dietary needs. I usually spend around $100 per week for myself – mostly organic, occasional non-organic vegetables or nuts to save money. I just figured out how much it would cost me to do a juice feast (one gallon of green juices per day), and I figured it would cost me about $200 per week if I went non-organic on the cucumbers (need 15+ per day) & only bought part of the supplements. I am definitely going to be growing cucumbers this summer! I also quickly found out a few months ago that I don’t spend much less (if any) eating cooked vegetarian or vegan, so I went back to raw because the difference in how I felt was incredible!!! I also figure saving money by not going out & less medical bills in the long run. Even though my insurance was paying, I figured that in the first four months of being high-raw, my medical costs (what I would have paid with no insurance) went down by $500 a month. And I felt better! That was definitely worth the maybe $200 extra per month I was spending on food. :)

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

around 100 bucks a week for myself, less in the summer because i grow my own food and participate in a community garden.

• 400-450 a week all organic for 2 adults and one kid

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Just for myself, I would say about 60-70 bucks a week. I’m going to start growing my own food this summer so maybe it will help save a ton!

• Limelady, it is a good idea to keep all the grocery receipts, I do the same. It is an easy and great way to monitor how much you spend!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Actaully, flybaby it’s a good way to make sure you didn’t get over charged or charged twice for somthing!

• $100-$150 a week for 2 adults, including my 6’5” constantly bicycling husband.

• At my local health food store they charge about 5$ for a honeydew melon, so we bought one and we looked at the receipt afterwards. The cashier charged only $1.50 for the melon! it was funny.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I buy produce weekly and nuts, seeds and superfoods online. It’s hard to put a number on what I spend weekly. I just ordered organic produce from Diamond Organics because I can’t get organic food where I live during this time of year (It’s snowing at the moment!). I just spent $96.00 and that may last about 10 days to 2 weeks. The shipping is very high, but so is the food there.