Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

HIGH calorie raw foods. PLEASE

hello, could someone please give me a good list of raw food that is very high in calories. ive been told im too skinny (6’2”, 160 pounds [mind you, i weighed on some random cheapo scale at a wal-mart, so that may not be accurate]) and that i need to take in more calories. i personally dont think im too skinny, but my partner thinks so. So i’m going to try and eat more and take in more calories. normally on a day to day basis, i wake up and have limeade (juice from 1 lime OR 1 lemon, about 10 oz of spring water, about 2 tsp of raw honey, and 2 pinches of cayenne pepper), then a green smoothie (two big handfuls of mixed organic greens, 2 kale leaves, 1-2 oranges, 2 kiwis, 1 banana, 1 tbl of ground flax seeds, a little raw honey and some ice), then something else around dinner time, and then a fruit based smoothie with a TON of wheatgrass in it. is this not enough food? someone please tell me about some high calorie raw foods!

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Oh how I wish I had your problem! Add a handful of walnuts, hempnut, and sunflower kernels to your green smoothie. And again later at dinner. YOUR listing doesn’t have any protein and these nuts and seeds will add both protein and calories that are healthy. Also add some avcado to your smoothies or salads. Bananas and or pineapple added to your first morning smoothie would be high in calories. Cashews and Pecans are high in calories. Good Luck and happy gaining!

• Well, if it is enough food or not it largely depends on your activity level. If you want to gain weight you should do some weight training. High calorie raw foods include: nuts and seeds, avocado, coconuts, oils (olive, flax, hemp etc), olives, dried or preferably dehydrated foods, fresh figs and dates, bananas, grapes, honey, agave, sweet potatoes, sprouted grains (wheat,rye, barely).

• see, i do eat avocados and coconuts too. just not on a daily basis. and the prices on avocados are rediculous. in my cabinet i have walnuts, sunflower seeds, almonds (probably not raw), hazelnuts, and… i think thats it. i guess i need to make walnut taco meat and have some raw tacos. i guess i havent really been consuming much fat. though i havent minded the weight loss. i dont think raw fats actually make you fat though. i use to weigh around 225.i guess i’ll add more nuts and seeds in. and more avocados if i can afford it. and i love coconuts, i have about 1.5 coconut meat left. oh and as far as activity, at the moment, its little to none. its been way to cold out for me to go mountain biking or skating or anything. as soon as it gets warm out, i’ll be way more active again

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Depending on how long raw you’ve been, you may be of low weight for the first year or so during detox. My partner has been putting quite a bit of weight through working out. He doesn’t eat alot of fat, about 10%. It’s the demand on the muscles to grow that makes the difference and then taking in the right amount of fat and protein for your constitution.

• i didnt start eating mainly raw until october because before that, i really couldnt. so during a detox period i may be lower in weight? interesting. i actually want to get some bee pollen and start working out to put on some bulk. money is a bit of an issue right now. although im sure bee pollen would last quite awhile. but i read on david wolfes site, www.sunfood.com, that bee pollen is known for building and defining muscles.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

there are some other forums about weight gain. you might check those out.

otherwise, natalia rose has some good advice. now that you are “raw’ you are in the cell cleansing business. until your cells are nice and shiny they will not be ready to take on new material. once the cells have been “rung out” then you will start to put on normal weight.

• Nuts Avocados Dates Bananas Honeydew melons (surprisingly) Mangoes Durian cherimoyas

Blessings!!!

Audrey 

• thanks pianissima! good information!! and thank you too, chilove

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Specifically weight-lifting or resistance training will help build muscle, and the nuts will help. I got sick a couple of years ago and lost a bunch of weight, and to gain it back I made cashew shakes all the time: 1 cup cashews, 1+ cup water, 1 banana and whatever other fruits I had/wanted. Start with the cashews and water and blend until creamy. Add the banana, other fruit, and enough additional water to keep it blending. If the fruit is frozen, it will be cold more like a milkshake.

• I’ve always found that cubed sweet potatoes make a good raw snack, they’re not incredibly high in calories but they’re something you can munch on while on the move or driving some where. Just don’t eat too many at first because they may give you indigestion.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Phill, my partner works out and has put on a stone in the last 5 months. He takes super cookies before a workout and then has a super smoothie after a workout, it seems to work as he is putting on muscle and bulk. He uses bee pollen, pumpkin seeds, coconut butter, spirulina, cacao, bananas in his concoctions. It’s quite low fat.

• If you start eating a lot of raw nuts/seeds, it would be a good idea to take exogenous enzymes with them. Theyre hard on the stomach, plus you want to save some of your enzyme potential for muscle growth. Im 6’4”, and 170 lbs, so I know what youre goin through.

You can buy a cheap bottle of probiotic tablets at walmart for less than $10, and theyll last you a month. Keep some in your pocket as well, just use an empty chapstick tube, or a small baggie. Eat them with any cooked meal.

Good luck!

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

You are probably a good weight and your partner should chill out. What matters is that you feel good and you feel healthy. Thinner people live longer anyway. Your a tall guy so unless she’s taller than you, I don’t know what her problem could be! If you feel good, then what could be better than that?

Don’t eat foods super high in fats, they aren’t good for you! You want to gain weight? Eat cooked foods! Or follow your instincts, eat intuitively, and let your body do the rest. There’s no need to micro-manage.

Peace you :)

• I don’t think fat is the answer for you. I can only speak for how I feel on high fat and that is very shitty. I eat 811 style and I feel great on that. If you want to gain weight and actually feel good, just add more bananas to those smoothies. Your drink had only 1 banana, I’m 5’8 and I’m drinking a 12 banana + head of romaine lettuce smoothie right now. It’s like 1300 calories.

Fruits are more calorie dense then veggies so add more bananas, mamea if you can find any, durian but not everyday cause it’s high fat. Oranges are pretty high calorie too, as are persimmons.

And last thing, who cares if someone else thinks your too skinny when you don’t? 160 pounds sounds fine to me. sounds like it sounds fine to you as well.

• I echo what SinzOfMan says. Also, your BMI at 6’2” and 160 pounds is 20.5, which is within the normal range of 18.5-24.9. I would be careful about adding too many high fat raw foods to your diet. I wholeheartedly believe that 811RV with plenty of exercise, especially intense weight training, is the “brass ring” of the raw vegan lifestyle.

Good luck! I think you’re probably a hottie right now!!! You just don’t see it in yourself.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Try just eating more. I start my day with a smoothie and throughout the day before lunch eat fruit and sometimes nuts or some chips I made in the dehydrator. Lunch is always a big salad with avacado in it. I sometimes have a raw desert I made if I have any. Then I am back to snacking on things until dinner. My dinner is the only meal I might not have raw, but when it is raw I eat as much as I can. I love doing raw pizzas and I load it up with all I can, especially olives since they have a lot of calories, and if my raw meal is light I eat more fruit or veggies. So basically just eat more throughout the day. And drink lots of water too.