Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

can't keep on the wagon!

i am struggling so much lately. i have some crazy stress going on (boyfriend might be leaving the country for 2 years, just selected preliminary upgrades for my very first, still being built house) and have been reaching for totally horrible cooked, non-vegan foods. i am also gluten intolerant and i keep getting sick from eating things i shouldn’t, but i’m also feeling horrible for going against my raw diet, which i was so committed to.

anyone else have periods where they slipped hard. how do you get back on track?

Comments

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master
    • though not technically raw green tea helped me with cooked food cravings because it supresses appetite . when i first started raw i drank it day and night , it helped me get full on less .
    • the heavy nut recipes , like desert type things with crust made of part nuts and also containing sweet / rich ingredients , really help fill me up and away from craving heavy cooked foods . i eat bananas with these meals to help fill up .
    • when first started i ALWAYS made a big 3 gallon stainless steel pot (dont know why but my greens stay longest in them) full of my salad fixings (minus tomato because it makes lettuce wilt / damp) every 2 or 3 days so itd be instantly ready when i got starving and i could wolf down a giant salad before i started scheming of what cooked vegan meal i would eat . i always make a vinegar and oil dressing heavily laced with garlic clove because for some reason (besides the heavy oil) the garlic makes me feel fuller . i also sprinkle coarse chopped walnuts or sesame / flax seed (ground) on salads to make more filling . i also add tons of brocoli and mushrooms to my salads to make more hearty .
    • and avacado / gauc is a biggy that satisfies big appetite that makes me craved cooked .
  • In the past, 3 things helped me get back on track:

Indulging in whatever Raw foods and treats I wanted, as long as I only ate when hungry.

Buying Raw ready-made stuff to have on hand.

Forcing down some high quality green superfood powder. I don’t usually use it, but I’ve found that it does help me feel well, transition with gentler detox, and reduce cravings.

Good luck getting back to where you want to be!

• I really feel for you, because I am going through the same exact thing. Ive been so stressed that all ive been doing is binging on cooked food, and feeling stuffed and bloated ALL THE TIME! I hate it! I really wish I had like some awesome advice, but I really don’t, although i do agree with drinking lots of green tea. I hope there are some awesome responses that help you out as well as me.

• lalala,

Firstly, be kind to yourself. You have many events going on. A lot of us have emotional issues around food and use it to soothe ourselves. For most of us RAW is not an over night achievement. So, pick your self up, dust your self off, and start over without regret. Yesterday is just that

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I agree with oliveroblong that some kind of fast can help. I recently did the master cleanse and have been able to be much more disciplined about eating since then. That being said, I did indulge in pretzels with non raw peanut butter yesterday and a big vegan cookie over the weekend because hey, were not perfect! I also love the success is the intelligent use of mistakes quote.. so true! At a post master cleanse birthday party I ate french fries and felt so sick afterward I can’t imagine ever eating them again. That was a worthwhile mistake!

• marcellmarcell Raw Newbie

i never made green smoothies before, do you use a juicer for just the juice of the vegtebales or do you throw it all, leaves etc. into the foodproccesor? my english may sound weird on this one :)

• As Oliveroblong mentioned green smoothies really do the trick. They supply you with the missing vitamins and minerals that your body needs and craves. That’s why you have cravings, your body is saying I need something. Green smoothies are made in a blender (high speed the best). Start with 2 cups of water and then add a couple of fists full of greens and blend. I like kale or spinach. Then add lots of fruits of your choice. The resulting drink will be mostly fruit with somekind of green in it. Victoria Boutenko also wrote a book titled Green for Life and it details how she did her research and came to the conclusion that we need greens more than any of us realize.

• thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. i have been trying to stick with green smoothies during the day since i usually eat the things i shouldn’t at night when i am sitting and thinking. i know i’m not eating from actual hunger and i think that’s the worst part of it, but i really like the idea of substituting with raw “treats” so i have made corn chips and am going to have raw nachos for dinner tonight.

i think the worst part right now is that part of my brain is asking for healthy raw food so my body can feel well again, but another very loud part of my brain is asking for chips and pizza.

thanks again for the advice! every day is a new day!

• sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

Hey, Lala, I can not have gluten either. I have DH, and this diet hascured me. sorry for my bad typing. I’m on a treadmill. If I eat something not raw, I congratulate myself for at least not eating gluten. :-)

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

lalala, Don’t underestimate the power of those greens! it takes a little while, but I have to make sure I have greens at every meal or I can crash. But, most importantly, i remember why i stay on—the bright clear eyes look great at my age, the no wrinkle look, i’m loving lately. Cooked food makes me feel so depressed!!!!!!!!!