Cucumber...

Did you know that cucumbers are eaten in there unripe stage. when they ripen they turn yellow and become bitter/sour tasting.Because cucumbers devolope from a flower and also have enclosed seeds they are techniqually classified as a fruit! There are a few breeds of cucumbers that are seedless but these are thought to be of a lesser quality…so be sure to get the seeded kind! To help pollinate the seeded cucumber thousands of hives of honey bees are annually carried to cucumber fields just before blooming time. Because bees are brought in to pollinate the type of insectides used has to be not only limited but well chosen because the grower wants to avoid killing his bees. In the United States, people have begun eating less pickles while the number of people choosing to buy and eat fresh cucumbers has risen. The reason why people put cucumbers on their eyes is because they contain asboric acid and caffeic acid which help to reduce swelling and soothe skin irritations. The skin that so many people peel off contains silica, potassium and magnesium. Cucumbers also help add plenty of fiber to your diet…so eat up! Storage:Cucumbers are very sensitive to heat, so ones that are displayed in refrigerated cases are the best to buy. They should be firm, rounded at their edges, and their color should be a bright medium to dark green. Avoid cucumbers that are wrinkled at their tips. Thinner cucumbers will generally have less seeds than those that are thicker. It is highly recommended to choose those that are unwaxed, so the nutrient-rich skin can be eaten without consuming the wax and any chemicals trapped in it.(thus the reason why again you should go organic!) Cucumbers should be kept in the refrigerator where they can be stored safely for several days. Cucumbers should not be left out at room temperature for too long as this will cause them to wilt and become limp!

Comments

• I love cucumbers! One of my favorite foods. Thanks for the post. It was very interesting :)

• wow, thanks for posting all this info. I’ve been meaning to research the nutritional value of cucs :)