Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Eating at night...

I am currently doing great on 75% raw but I’m trying to get to 100%. I do really well with my raw food diet for most of the day… until 7 or 8pm… then I get hungry for cooked foods, especially when I come home after work. This happens even if I just had a salad for dinner at work. Anyone have any advice or motivation for me to eat raw at night? I don’t know why I do it and I don’t know why it’s the only time of the day I thik about cooked foods and give in to it. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone! :)

Comments

• We are currently transitioning from eating raw until dinner to eating raw all day. We think that the whole cooked food at night thing is largely emotional and are just trying to tell ourselves not to eat for emotional reasons as the emotions are never resolved by eating cooked foods. I think the goal should be to have a hearty raw dinner—get some good fats in there. Make one of the filling raw entrees on this site. The best I have felt is the last two days, eating 100% raw. Also just tell yourself that cooked food is an addiction—the more you eat of it, the more you will want. I have found that when I eat raw at night, I don’t wake up hungry and bloated, the way I was when I was having a cooked dinner. Good luck!

• worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

your body could be looking for minerals. or maybe you didnt eat enough calories during the day.

• That’s a great point that worleyhimself2 made. What do you generally eat during the day?

• Can you get your hands on something Raw that’s close to its cooked counterpart? That really helped me with my initial transition. Also, eating the food room temp, or warmed in the dehydrator, instead of fridge-cold, helped ease me away from craving cooked. Maybe you need something heavier to go with the salad, like raw bread, crackers, tacos, pizza, quiche etc, until you transition more. Good luck!

• worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

you could have an over growth of bacteria, Candida. And that is why you crave cooked foods (sugar). I had a root canal infection after being raw for awhile. then totally turned me around and i was eating vegan chocolate ice cream, sprouted grain bread, wild cooked rice, alot of raw food bars for those dates.

• I usually eat a fruit smoothie for breakfast, a green smoothie for lunch, fruit salad mid-afternoon, and then some kind of salad for dinner. After dinner, I seem to lack motivation (maybe creativity?) to eat something else raw when I come home. Does this sound like I’m not eating enough? Thanks rediscoverrrawfood, on suggesting to eat room temp food. Sounds like that may be what I need. I also agree that I need to tell myself that I can’t give in to emotional eating (thanks kellygoneraw). By the way, are most minerals in veggies and seaweed? Thanks again everyone!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i think it’s just a question of bulk. as you get more into this you’ll require less food. it’s REALLY hard, as standard measures of “enough” are a little out of whack.

it does sound like you could get more calories during the day. not that you NEED them, but in order to not detox too rapidly, it’s nice to give your body something to “distract” itself on. i’d eat more fruit during the day. they are great for calories. juicing in the morning is also a great way to add some clean calories.

but this is a PROCESS… so i totally agree with rediscoveredrawfood here. eat heavier till you are through the transition…

to get some perspective on how long that should take, count the number of days you’ve been eating cooked foods and compare it to the # of days you’ve given yourself to be freed from them =)

good luck!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

i find fat helps….avocados to be precise tahini is another good one for me too….if you are motivated you could make a wrap or guacamole…i eat mine with a spoon right out of the skin….i eat the tahini on celery or carrots it seems to help with every craving and empty feeling i might have…if you arent 100% drink green tea too

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Also, keep in mind that sometimes the cooked meal and the end of the day is a really great thing. Like, people on the Hallelujah diet eat a small cooked meal at the end of the day after a very large green salad. What this does besides giving you more needed calories, is it slows down detoxification, so that you can still have much needed energy throughout the day and not be detoxifying rapidly. If you do not want to do that, the other option is juice fasting.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Yeah, for those 100% raw people, teas are very medicinal and healthy. Also, something great to do once a month (because its expensive) is to take an avocado, and a couple spoonfuls of carob powder and mash the two together until its a smooth chocolate pudding. It tastes GREAT. I used to use bananas which still tastes good but the avocado made it taste rich like choclate.

• Omg, I have this issue too! I think its my sweet tooth and an emotional thing for me, but it is so hard to stop! It seems like you might be lacking in fats and calories slightly, so add some avocado, healthy oils, or nuts to your salads, or maybe some flax seed to your smoothies. I know that my body isn’t craving anything when I do this- just the mind which can be overcome. Sipping on some kind of a sweet tea is helpful to slow down binging sometimes. I find that Yogi tea’s Tahitian Vanilla and Numi’s Honeybush or White Rose are good. The two former can be mixed with nut milk, the yogi tea already has stevia in it so its lightly sweet instantly.

• Awesome ideas everyone! I wrote all these down so I can refer to them if I ever break down and actually see that there’s another option for me. Now that I think of my diet, I do need to add some avocado and healthy oils. I will definitely try the tea with nut milk… since I love chai (but don’t want the real milk in there).

• By the way Nicci, I love the pashmina in the picture… looks like you’re somewhere in Europe!

• Lol, thanks- I wish I were in Europe!its actually from a random dance in January in cold old Canada.

If you are a Chai addict you will love the Tahitian Vanilla Hazelnut- it tastes just like a latte even with little to no nut milk!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Hi skystrdust, I ate cooked in the evening because I felt so empty that no amount of raw could fill me up! But this is my second week raw, and it’s possible because of three things. (1) I keep a new, unique raw dish available for every evening – even if it’s as simple as corn with cilantro, or celery and nut butter, or sliced cukes with avocado, or fruit smoothies, or walnut-date bars. With plenty of variety – and variety of texture! you can choose what you’re in the mood for. Have some raw nuts, then salt some cukes, then have some sweet mango. That way, you feel that you’ve had all of the different flavors and textures! (2) Eat more often and higher calorie throughout the day, just as they mentioned above. Add olives and tons of crunchy veggies to your salads. Have dates and nuts on hand for snacking. And be ready to eat fruit every three hours if necessary – at least during the transitional period, so they say. (3) Keep away from anything cooked, if at all possible. I don’t go to restaurants, I don’t look at food ads (printed or tv), I don’t keep cooked food in the house, and I most certainly don’t smell it. This is the only time when temptation hits.

That said, it took me three months of eating 80% raw till I was ready to go 100% – and now i don’t want to eat cooked ever again. If I can do it, anyone can! Best of luck this week!