Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Ruling Your World

I just picked up this book yesterday and cannot put it down. It’s by Sakyong Mipham. Thought I’d share some info from this book. I’m trying to find a way to break that small addiction I still have to cooked foods and transition from 75 to 100% raw. Thought this was interesting…

“We’d often rather put our mind on the treadmill or discursiveness and entertainment than relax. Then we wonder, ‘Why is nothing turning out the way I want?’ Tiger mind creates a little gap in which we can look at our choices. We could get mad or not get mad. We could manipulate or not manipulate. We could become desirous and fixate. We could get jealous or not. It’s up to us.” “We have the power to determine what we will and will not do. If we have eaten too much, gone on a shopping spree, gotten into an argument, we can reflect upon whether it is virtue or nonvirtue. We can ask, ‘What is the result of my action? Do I feel imprisoned or liberated? Am I content? Do I have regret?” It goes on to say that at the end of the day you can ask yourself, “How did I handle myself today?” During this self-reflection, we assess what happened and use the past to determine what we want to do in the future.

Sorry if this was too long, just found it really interesting… especially with transitioning and learning to be more in-tune and responsive to what my body is telling me. Hope it helps anyone else out there. If it truly does, let me know and I’ll write one a day (shorter next time). Lots of love and encouragement to everyone!

Comments

• ohhh yes write one a day….huge paragraphs of the stuff pleease!! sounds brilliant (and it came at the right time for me

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

oh, i’ll pick that one up. i just finished “the power of now” which was like nothing i’ve ever read.

if we’re sharing books here (which it seems like we are?) i’d also recommend “the last hours of ancient sunlight” (a much needed cultural assessment of our energy crisis), and “autobiography of a yogi”

there is so much inspiration in books.

• Thanks for the book reccomendations. This kind of reading is good for the mind and the soul:)

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

skystrdust – what’s the name of the book? pianissima – I read A New Earth but haven’t read The Power of Now, although I just sent it to a friend in crisis. Have you read both, and if so, is it worth reading The Power of Now too? Thanks!

amysue- oh YES. i read “the new earth” first but “the power of now” REALLY clarifies a lot of the what he talking about in “the new earth” (probably because it’s better to read them sequentially, but i didn’t know that…)

p.s. i’m assuming the book is called ruling your world, right?

• Yeah its much better to read The Power of Now first and then a New Earth either way make sure you read both of them, as The Power of Now flows a little different then A New Earth, its more like you are listening or reading a transcript to an Awakening Meeting.

Does anyone listen to the POD cast on Monday’s they put me to sleep not sure if they are really helping that much. What’s your thoughts ?

pod casts? no. i didn’t know there were any…

he has a few videos from lectures up on youtube though, which i enjoyed watching. it’s such a weird subject to “talk” about since it kind of defeats the purpose (or my understanding of it) right? i felt that i wanted to explore the ideas after reading it but they were just SO controversial for people in my life that there was much offense taken…

how have you incorporated these teachings into your life?

• I know what you mean pianissima by the way my daughter loves your picture, I had to explain it to her LOL.

There is a live pod cast on OPRAH.com every Monday at 8:00 EST. where he talks and answers questions on the book A NEW EARTH for an hour and half. They are somewhat cheesy and not half as good as reading the book but maybe you should look for yourself.

As far as using the teachings I have been working on surrendering to what is and becoming fully present. the “isness” he calls it. I am reading the Power of Now again to get a better understanding.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Thanks for the advice, I will read The Power of Now. A New Earth ironically made me feel a little overwhelmed, like every thought that came into my head was wrong, and then I was wrong for thinking that I was wrong. Not quite evolved yet here.

ardesmond2 – I tried watching the first live webcast which didn’t work, as Oprah as now explained, I’ll probably check out the transcripts since I’m more of a reader, but I’m hoping they’ll help with my confusion. Ruling Your World…oh yeah, thanks!!