Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Inspirational Voice

amysueamysue Raw Newbie

This is in response to the discussions about Sakyong Mipham, Eckhart Tolle, Pema Chodran, and others who people here are finding inspiration from. I’ve learned valuable lessons from some of these and others, but I still haven’t found the spiritual leader who really speaks to me. Does anyone have any suggestions on teachers/authors/spiritual leaders I can look into? Thanks!

Comments

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Thanks Joyce! I’ve never heard of her but I’ll check her out.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I like reading Eckhart Tolle’s articles whenever I come across them. I’ve never heard of Sakyong Mipham or Pema Chodran, but I’ll keep my eye out for them. The Dali Lama is a great spiritual leader if you want to read some of his works. My mom is also a big fan of Bryan Farnum and Almine Barton. I’ve heard some of Almine’s radio shows and some stuff is quite ‘out there’ but she is quite interesting when she talks about emotion, gratitude, and creating your reality. I think you just need to keep looking until you feel you’ve found what’s right for you.

Raw_Chocoholic – thanks! Those are two new names to me. I have one of the Dalai Lama’s books – Kindness Clarity and Insight.

• I’m with Joyce H. on this one. Louise Hay has helped me immeasurably on my spiritual path, and she is someone I find myself going back to over and over again. In fact, there is a film of “You Can Heal Your Life” that I found very moving. You can also find it at her website. I also love Pema Chodron and Carolyn Myss. In the end, everyone is really saying the same thing anyway!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Deffinately the Dalai Lama. He is a wonderful being! I have read Transforming the Mind, An Open Heart, and The Path to Tranquility (daily wisdom). in the last one, each page is a dose of wisdom from his holliness! I love it!!!

Thanks Luna blu! Sounds like he’s having a tough time right now, though. Mon46 and Joyce – I’ve got Louise Hay on the library request list. She has a lot of books, it was hard to choose!

• amysue, in my opinion, some good ones to start with are “You Can Heal Your Life” (a classic), “Life: Reflections on Your Journey” and “The Power is Within You.” As Joyce mentioned, her book about gratitude is very good, too. Her CDs are also very good to listen to.

She is the Buddhist monk, Joyce. When Things Fall Apart, I believe, although my copy is gone too. That’s interesting about You Can Heal Your Life – I passed by that one because I thought I’m not really in need of healing right now, just reinforcement, so I’ll put that on the list. I’m with you on the moodiness, it always comes after reading something very enlightening which seems like a kind of punishment or a test.

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

Paramahansa Yogananda

I recommend his work the most. Whenever I read his literature my stomach gets Hot. That only happens when I read literature that comes from a very high place . the Self Realization Fellowship temple here in malibu is the only place outside of India where Gandhi requested his ashes be preserved. this is the site of his spiritual organization thats all over the world…www.yogananda-srf.org

Kahlil Gibran

his The Prophet covers a wide variety of subjects with clear, simple and true inspirational poetry, he has many other works too… even if you look up some of his quotes on the internet, you don’t go far before there’s one that speaks to your soul

Krishnamurti is also inspirational and well known

I’m reading Eckhart Tolle’s A New Earth right now, its my first of his books. I’m loving it… the way he puts it is so clear and makes so much sense…but i feel like i need to stop after every paragraph or so because there’s so much new/clarified knowledge to absorb.

...There’s controversy as to whether the Dalai Lama is a true spiritual leader….(uh oh).....

Thanks kundalalita! Sounds amazing. Funny, I have The Prophet and it’s one of those things I’ve never gotten around to. I’m rereading A New Earth and I know what you mean about trying to absorb it. Now I’m skipping around the the parts that seem the most relevant to me.

This week I found a great book – Buddhism for Mothers of Young Children: Becoming a Mindful Parent by Sarah Napthali. There are so many parallels with A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle, but it speaks specifically to mothers and the realities of parenthood in today’s world, while trying to live in the now. I love the simple idea of being present for your child.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

hey guys, my neice is turning 16 next week, forgive me but she is not one of those teens that is shall we say, expanded outside herself. she loves to read however and i would not be doing my wierd auntly duty if i did not get her something outside the norm! ;) any books for “shallow” ( i say this as gently as possible) teens out there that might help them through this rough period of hormones and self esteem issues?