Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Ok for kids?

I have my kids on about a 50% raw diet with me. They love the smoothie’s and whatnot. However My SAD parents don’t agree, and I feel like they are kinda trying to scare me a bit. They mean no harm… they just dont understand my reasons for going raw. My question is… Has anyone done this before with there children and is it ok?

Comments

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

I am 17 and do not ahve kids but I am young enough I guess. Raw food has done me wonders. I ahve not been eating a lot of raw over the past few months but the past month ahs been high raw. My eyesight is improving which I am glad for. I want to go on Dr. Schulze’s program for the eyes. You do his eyebright eyewash 5-6 times a day, take 2 droperfuls 5-6 times a day, take brain formula 5-6 times a day and have at least 3 cups of organic carrot juice every day. He says it will create a healing miracle.

Right now, I have not been doing the eyebright eyewash consistently as I should really. Though I am wearing my old pair of glasses which are starting to get a little blurry (especially when seeing things 30 feet away or so) I put on my new pair of glasses (that I used to wear) yesterday and it was very blurry. So, I am making progress.

As for your kids, it is hard to assure your parents that you are doing what will make them healthy. And I know that they care and that is why they are bothering you. I think though, that you are not giving your kids enough raw foods. It should be about 80% or so. Then, after a month or so, show your parents your kids. If they are energetic and all, then that means you are doing what is good for them.

A raw diet is high in nutrients, proteins, carbohydrates, fiber. Is that bad for kids? I think not.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Hi savannasmommy – my daughter eats mostly raw meals with me and she’s doing great. I’m very conscious of her omega 3 intake, I add chia or hemp seeds to her smoothies and hemp oil whenever I can, and I do give her a B 12 supplement for children as insurance and to keep her doctor happy. She gets lots of calcium from green smoothies and she hasn’t had a new cavity since going mostly raw (don’t know if this is related but her teeth were very troubled before).

• sacannasmommy You are fine, I have a nine year old daughter and she eats 100% living foods. Not only is she more educated with how food works we learn together and make food together which makes it all more a family accomplishment. Not sure how old your daughter is, but my parents did this to me when I went vegetarian. They would sneak my daughter chicken at all cost till I gave in and just continued to be vegan while she ate chicken. Once I started eating living foods and cured myself of eczema which she also used to have I knew it was the right thing to do. I can’t explain more you need to read, read, read, The China Study, Sun Food Diet, Green for Life and there are some others, but with out the power of knowledge your parents will scare you. The first thing my mother said was ” She goes to school she can’t eat like that”. My mouth dropped needless to say and from there on out I just ignored anyone. The only problem to this is now she can’t really go over to her aunt

• I agree with ardesmond2 about educating yourself as much as possible about Raw nutrition. When you know how to respond to other people’s concerns, you won’t feel stressed out by their assault on Raw. My 9 yo daughter is about 50% Raw. She would be more, but she spends time at her dad’s (he thinks Raw is too extreme), and she’s allergic to tree nuts. I’m slowly increasing her percentage all the time, though I won’t force her to go 100%.

Good luck! I think you’re doing something wonderful for your kids’ present and future health!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

My youngest is mostly raw. It was her decision. She is 11 and by far the healthiest and happiest of the 3. The older 2 think my food is “So Gross!” i find it interesting, though that my raw daughter misses chicken. I know it’s her body’s cry for more protein/?fat- rich foods as she is going through that pre-teen growth spurt. She’s not a big fan of raw nuts or avo.

• it cracks me up how people are always concerned about people not getting enough nutrients from raw food, when really, we should be concerned about them not getting enough nutrients from FRIED foods. my boss actually just found out about my diet and came into my office, concerned.

but anyway, i think 50% raw is totally normal for kids… i probably ate that much raw whe i was a kid and my family had no idea about raw food… fruits, vegetables and nut butters were just a natural part of our diet. your kids will be fine.

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

I agree with mandelicious (and everybody else). My family always ate lots of fresh fruits and veggies when I was growing up and nobody thought twice about it. It just seems like if you give it proper noun status and call it a Raw Foods Diet people start freaking out.

My 10-year old son doesn’t like most of my raw concoctions and runs in terror from green smoothies, but he’ll eat an entire package of cherry tomatoes or baby peppers or berries or grapes (etc., etc., etc.) if I let him. And I usually do, except for when I make him share. ;o) Fresh fruits, veggies and nuts & seeds are GOOD for our children, and like mandelicious said, I worry more about people getting enough nutritrion from their morning donuts than I do about my kid getting enough nutrition from a half a cantaloupe for breakfast. Y’know?

You don’t have to listen to other people when they put down what you know is healthy and right for your children. I know, way easier said than done, but you can do it. And grandparents, while sometimes nosier and more buttinsky than we’d like, are only acting out of loving concern, so there’s that to keep in mind.

It’s always amazing to me how threatened people can get around food issues. Must be a deep primal thing. Lizard brain stuff.

OK, that’s enough babbling outta me! :o)

• I am only 12 and have been on a raw diet since I was like 7 or 8, maybe even 6. However, when I was in kindergarten and first grade I ate alot of sprouted ezekiel bread, which probably wasn’t the best for me. At about age 6, my pediatrition said I had some heart disease that I don’t remember was called. Johns Hopkins tested my heart and it was fine. I was, however, very sick and in bed all the time, and my mother detoxed me with a digestive enzyme pill called Enzymatic Therapy’s Mega-Zyme, and lots of juices and stuff. So after that, I stayed on a raw diet, and it should be fine for your kids. Hope this helps :)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I would definitely agree that 50% minimum raw is great for your kids, but DO get education. I knew of a lady where I live who had her kids on 100% raw, and I would hear her say who needs more protein than what’s in a peach? and things like that. Later, child services intervened because her children were malnourished, and a couple of years later she was not doing all raw herself, either. Kids especially need more fat and protein (more than what’s in a peach), because they are growing. But I agree, it is crazy how people react, just because it’s called a Raw Food Diet and sounds different from what they’re used to. Most people initially think just carrots and lettuce. If they only knew how good we eat! :D

The book Raw Family by Victoria Boutenko is about her family’s change to raw foods, due to her children’s health problems, which all went away and as a family they had the strength to hike the Pacific Crest Trail (San Diego to the Canadian border) a few years later. They were 100% raw.

Okay, rawclaire, how old are you really? You seem to get younger every time you post something. ;)

• Please no angie don’t; we have already been down that road. It’s a dead dog. she has said that she is twelve.

Oh, okay – sorry :)

• Hey everyone.. Thanks for your support. Im going to go buy some books and get my learn on. My 6 year old lately at dinner has been looking at me like Ive lost my mind. My 3 year could care less what he eats as long as it fills him up. Oh and got my dehydrator yesterday YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

• i’m not married neither do i have kids….but just my 2 cents…I think it’s not a good idea to impose our thoughts/eating habits on kids. just give them the option of raw food and let them choose what they want to eat. Even as grown-ups some of us (i’m sure most of us) are having so many problems in revealing our diet to our co-workers, friends, and even to family members for the fear of being alienated or looking weird. Just imagine how a small child would feel if he/she is ridiculed for what he/she eats. It does more harm than good if it is forced upon. Having said that, if they are comfortable and happy with just 50% raw, that’ll definitely do more good to them in the long run.

savannasmommy, this is not directed at you.

• I am 12. Period.