Coming home and going raw!

I’m in the army and am currently deployed. I will be coming home soon and can’t wait to go raw. I’ve wanted to do it for so long but didn’t have the resources. Being in the Middle East I have not been provided with healthy food. Most the food that is served is fried (not just meat, veggies too!) or food is covered in sauce or butter. Needless to say my body is hurting and desperately needs to get rid of all the crap that has been put in it over the past year. I want to start day one when I get home with detox but I need some advice. I have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and need to keep my blood sugar even (not on a roller coaster) and I need to eat often. Also when I get home I will be doing some sort of physical activity almost every day (Pilates, rock climbing, tennis), so I need to make sure I don

Comments

• congratulations on coming home! if you want to detox, you will probably be taking in less calories than you are used to. since you have a blender, you can make green smoothies! use spinach, mint and parsley to start… other greens are more gritty and offensive.

lettuce and nori wraps are also fun, simple, and easy to get good nutrients in. you may be interested in making nut cheese. there are recipes on this site, or you can surf the web, or try a raw food prep book, like living cuisine, or rainbow green live cusine, can help you.

i would have on hand:

2 pounds raw nuts: cashews, almonds, macadamias, almonds and walnuts are all good choices, depending what you want to do. you may want to buy a couple nut milk bags; they are $8, and you can buy them online or at some health food stores. you can also use these to strain smoothies into juice.

leafy greens: several pounds of greens like spinach, kale, collards and romaine, as well as fresh herbs like parsley, cilantro and mint are useful for wraps, salads, smoothies, soups and juice.

semi-soft veggies like cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini: these are great for filling wraps, shredding and adding to salads, or eating alone.

avocadoes: wonderful things. great added to smoothies, eaten alone, in salads, with guacamole… basically, everything is better with avocado.

fruit: buy your favorites, and buy lots! i also would recommend bananas. they’re not the most nutrient dense, but they really help with food cravings and they are filling. 4 bananas is usually a pretty satisfying meal!

seaweeds: nori sheets are a no brainer, but see what other ways you can find to incorporate these wonderful foods into your diet! search here for seaweed recipes.

superfoods: these aren’t necessary, but they are fun, tasty and nutritious! start with basics like goji berries, spirulina, bee pollen, cacao and hempseeds, and experiment to see if there are others of interest.

OK, i hope that helps! i wish you a safe return home!

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

That’s so exciting! I second mandelicious on the green smoothie idea. You’ll see this a lot here but I also recommend Victoria Boutenko’s book Green for Life which is all about green smoothies – the easiest way to eat healthy. In the beginning I was overwhelmed by recipes with soaking, sprouting, dehydrating, foods that took days to make because I was hungry! So looking back I could have used Green for Life right off the bat. And when in doubt, do what you’ve already done and tap into this resource! The recipes here tend to be much easier than those in books and you’ll notice the same ingredients again and again. Good luck!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

For detox, green juices (the more the better) are a good way to ease the transition with less severe detox reactions, and enemas (warm water) or colonics help the cleansing process. I also like kale salads (shredded kale squished up with avocado, lemon, sea salt, garlic and whatever other seasonings you like – you can squish it with your hands or in a big ziploc baggie, for about 10 minutes, then let it sit for a couple of hours and add chopped or shredded veggies – green onions, cabbage, etc. – when ready to eat).

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

There is a topic on here somewhere called “Kitchen Staples” about lists of foods to start out with when going raw.

• Thanks to everyone for the advice. I now feel a little more confident about starting out. It’s so funny cause all I tend to do is day dream about the different raw food I can try. I guess most people who come home after a deployment dream of their favorite fast food or junk food. I’m just so ready to have energy and be healthy. My husband will still be deployed for several months after me so I’m hoping to have him come home to a good lookin wife who can whip up some mean raw food in the kitchen!:)