Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I'm done with nuts.

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

1. I can’t control myself when I eat them. It’s like a reflex is triggered and I just keep eating them, especially if there are dates around. I don’t have this problem with seeds.

2. When I eat them, they kick my butt. HORRIBLE stomach pains, especially if I overeat them, which I usually do.

So yeah, I’m done. I can’t take the heavy nut feeling anymore and I cannot be trusted to moderate my nut intake. Seeds only now.

Comments

• Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

Right now I am sitting here eating raw trail mix that I bought for an upcoming camping trip, and I can’t stop myself.

I LOVE NUTS!

• Nuts give me horrible headaches. And I just sit in front of the TV and eat and eat and eat, like chips or something. I love nuts too…. maybe too much.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

remember to soak them before you eat them (and make sure they are dry… wet nuts aren’t a good idea).

i’m also with JoyceH. in times when you need to “fill up” nuts just aren’t the best option for me either.

BUT, i don’t think it’s healthy to demonize a certain food because i can’t control myself around it. i’ve had to (and am trying to) make my peace with certain foods… it’s when i actually don’t want it anymore (not that i am FORCING or PUNISHING or DEPRIVING myself) that i’m good.

• Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

thanks joyce!

• Im still very new to all this…. can I ask why we are supposed to soak them first?

nuts have enzyme inhibitors that keep them from sprouting before they are planted. when you soak them the inhibitors leach into the soak water, so you get an easier to digest nut. a wet nut is not easy to digest, so it’s best to leave it out to dry. this process (along with the fact that cracking nuts is time-consuming work when done by hand) seems like a good indicator of how many nuts to eat.

• Thanks pianissima

• When I eat nuts or sweet thing like dates I try to make sure that during the same day the bulk of my eating has been from greens and green smoothies. I find I can tolerate more things if the bulk I have been eating is from greens. I again have mentioned this before but I tend to eat simple foods not a lot of complicated rich recipes. I have had digestive issues/allergies for years and find a reg.simple raw diet works for me with the occasional addition of richer foods,being nuts. Last summer I was addicted to mock salmon pate but would always add the simple green or cabbage salads to that. It can be hard but listen to your body. I wouldn’t give them up but maybe modify how you are eating them. Good luck!

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

I’m sure I’ve said this before on other threads but raw or not younger individuals and men in particular metabolize nuts MUCH better than women and especially women over 30/35. That doesn’t mean those of us female based life forms can never eat nuts but for me its a conscious choice. I do much better on seeds. And even those I’m careful with. Altho’ I’ve been subbing chia seeds for many recipes calling for flax seeds to great success! Much easier to digest!!!

• I failed on the raw lifestyle just about two and a half years ago because I thought it made me sick… Then I came back and I still had problems with my stomach, but I knew cooked food wasn’t the answer. It wasn’t until I quit eating nuts and seeds that I finally shed the horrible stomach cramps, constipation, diarrhea, and headaches. Nuts are great in moderation when you’re eating a SAD and trying to transition. But once you finally transition and loose the taste for cooked food, it’s a good idea to lose a taste for nuts too. Every time you go shopping avoid isles that sell nuts. And if you find yourself approaching these isles, just remember the horrible pain, you put yourself in the last time you ate the suckers. If that doesn’t stop you’re addicted. I was, but after they finally left my system I never got a craving for them again. As for as dates…yeah, not a good raw food either, they are about as bad as sugar cane in my opinion!

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

I totally agree on being done with nuts. whenever i eat a handful or even a couple, it totally weighs me down, makes me feel heavy, slows everything down and feels very regrettable.

I like to eat a lot of dates, having heard good things about them. However, just yesterday I had some dates in the morning and I totally got sick. I had a full on flu for like 10 minutes… I drank a lot of water and I was able to get up..and a few minutes later i was fine. That was really weird for me. I guess my body is used to very quick and wet fruit in the morning and really didn’t like that? or is there something not that special about dates?

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Love nuts, nuts love me! I don’t sit and gorge on them by no means, that would make any one feel icky!

I usually only use nuts for cheeze, pate, mylk and ‘whipped’ kreme! Oh and my cinnamon rolls and other sweets! I can’t say i sit and just eat them as is!

I love them for their versatility in the raw kitchen!

• Lately I’ve been thinking that they don’t love me either. I have digestive issues (gastritis being one of them) and I do feel my stomach pains get worse when I eat nuts :(

• I feel so bad for those whom it seems nuts don’t work out! I love them and they love me. I am sorry to disagree with you chakra essence but I don’t feel it is best to avoid them. I need them to make me feel satisfied and also to provide good tastes. Same thing about dates, I don’t typically eat dates by the handful but a few in a pie or in brownies makes me feel great. I need heavier meals to feel grounded and energized, otherwise I feel tired and groggy without them. But like many have said, we are all different…

• hilariously & pathetically enough, i’m sitting here eating a bag of raw almonds, after telling myself i was done with nuts over the almond board pasteurizing nuts! granted my almonds are the last of the 2007 crop that have not been pasteurized…i have no will power at this moment over nuts!!! i’m going to have to jump on the bandwagon with you…after i finish this bag… oooh god

• i often consume my nuts and seeds immediately after soaking, ie still wet. any real problems with this practice? how do you dry them quickly without the need of a dehydrater? thanks!

• I’ve had to stop the nuts too even though I LOVE them :(

Like others among you, they make me binge big time and then (obviously!!!) I feel ill. I just can’t eat a small amount.

Then a few times now I have had an allergic reaction after eating them…so I’m taking the hint and giving them a rest.

• Enzyme inhibitors aside, I think the problem with nuts is the high fat content, and the problem with dates and some other dried fruits is the high sugar, high glycemic load. I mentioned previously that I did not feel that raw foods which mock SAD foods that are made of nuts, agave, etc were healthy. At that time, several people vehemently insisted I was being negative and that all these mock dessert and foods made of fatty nuts and other crap were,in fact, very good for you. A few nuts, perhaps. But without all of the natural bulking fiber found in truly natural fruits, veggies and greens, it is difficult for many people, including myself, to feel satiated on nuts so it is inevitable that we overindulge. The negative physical reactions to eating nuts and dried dates and other items is a very clear indication from our bodies letting us know that what we just ingested does not belong in our diets everyday. Frankly, I don’t usually feel sick from eating a piece of fruit (mono) or greens or veggies, and that tells me it’s a pretty good choice for eating. I think seedmilks and nutmilks used in small amounts are more easily tolerated than meals and desserts made of nuts or seeds.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Unsoaked nuts make me sleepy. I can tolerate soaked really raw cashews in recipes and some soaked and dehydrated nuts. I read somewhere that soaking also lowers the fat content. As usual, i cannot remember where i read that. of course, people can write anything.

• SarahJSarahJ Raw Newbie

When I eat a handful of almonds, I get the hiccups. Other nuts don’t do this to me, just almonds. At first I thought it was a coincidence but it happens EVERY time. They don’t last very long. Weird eh?

izhpt- i’d believe that, since the nuts are a lot lighter afterwards. my almonds seem almost hallow.

honeygal- i just read it in “Raw Food Detox Diet” by Natalia Rose. it made a lot of sense, but unless you are experiencing problems i wouldn’t worry about it. you can leave them out to dry. make sure they are spread out on something like a cookie sheet. it takes a few hours. i don’t find any real advantage to using a dehydrator (seems like a waste of electricity unless i’m making something else at the same time).

• NUT lover and NOT so NUTTY lovers, I just shared a recipe that is not mine but uses pumpkin seeds. I thought it was tasty and gave me a good feeling, but light and airy once I pushed away from the table. Try it out. Pepita taco Meat

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Thanks…seeds don’t seem to bother me half as much. They feel yummy in my belly. I love nuts but I can’t be trusted with them…they trigger me into binging and they are hard on my stomach regardless and I do get heavy. I used to like the heavy feeling I got from nuts, but now it overpowers me. I will probably still use pinenuts here and there in dips and stuff…but I have to say farewell to my beloved walnut and pecan. It just hurts too much to eat them.