Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Hello NESCO anyone home!!

Ok I have to ask this because it is so irritating to me every time I use my little cheap circular NESCO dehydrator. Did they forget to put an on off switch on this thing or am I missing something. Anyone else hating this or am I alone on this one. It seems dumd and un-safe yanking the cord out of the wall when something has been on for nearly 2 days.. HELLO NESCO !!!!!

Comments

• i just went to flip something and totally agree! i hate unplugging it, doing everything i have to do, then plugging it back in. i wonder about the temp too. do you know if the dial temp is air temp or food temp?

• Ugh, I have this annoying dehydrator too, i would have to assume it’s the air temp, but who really knows! I’ve been considering either buying a dehydrator from here http://dryit.com/ or building a solar one. I think a solar dehydrator for outside would be my best bet!!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

I would venture to say that any temp dial of a devise is controlling the air temp and not the food temp. I would think that to control food temp, one would need a probe that is inserted into the food like the “pop-up” indicaters for cooking a turkey or some ovens (like mine) have a probe that one end is plugged into the oven and the other end is inserted into the food.

• Who thought of that design really.

Chakra essense do you think the solar dehydrator is really worth it. I would love to do it but I am just wondering on the reliability of it all. I haven’t done much research on this so please excuse my ignorance on the matter.

• I have the same dehydrator, I love it , but I would love to have an off/on switch. I recently read somewhere that you can buy that switch from Home Depot and Lowes. Good luck.

• Wow really, I have to check into that..

LOVE the pic 2relefords you got that JUICE RAW GLOW, is that recent pic or are you just blessed, and wake up that way.

• I have a Nesco as well and I guess only the higher grade and expensive dehydrators out there have timers. I bought a $10 plug in timer that you use for turning lamps or other appliances of your choice on or off when you cannot be around. This has solved the problem without paying an extra $100 dollars or more. You just plug the Nesco into the timer which is plugged into your outlet. If I won’t be dehydrating again soon, I just unplug the whole thing. Hope this helps!!

• YES teagirl now I can go to sleep and not set my alarm clock when I need to cut it off. Why didn’t I think of this .. TEAgirl gets a RAW star for the day by her name.

• Thanks for the compliment. That picture was taken at a play date function back in 2007, I was a vegan then. Since that time I have incorporated an 85% raw diet into my lifestyle. Yeah, I guess you can say that I’m blessed and wake up that way-as least my aunt would agree with you.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Well, guys the NESCO is really not a dehydrator meant for the raw lifestyle. It is meant to dehydrate little pieces of fruit, veggies and meat. It is honestly not designed for big time dehydrating that we rawies like to do.

I met a woman a a potluck a week ago who I served my raw bacon to and she wanted to know if she could make it in her “round” dehydrator and I told her it might drive her crazy. She told me the thing took her 2 days to just dehydrate apples. That is ridiculous!

• ardesmond2- I’m sure it’s worth it. Even if it doesn’t work out, I’ll at least be able to say I enjoyed the experience. Both of building it and experimenting with different fruits! I’m sure it works fine on sunny days, though. I’ll let you know how it goes after I build it and give it a few test runs!!