raw diabetic easter eggs?

so i want to make some candy to share with my family this easter… but here’s the deal with my family:

1) my brother in law is diabetic 2) my niece has just been diagnosed with aspergers so they are dairy/gluten free 3) i am raw 4) my dad has an inflammation of his heart lining, and is bizarrely picky and unpredictable with what he will eat. he mostly eats soup.

so this question is mainly for people with diabetic info (i.e. angie)... if i made truffles and sweetened them with agave, do you think my brother in law could eat them? his diagnosis is pretty recent too, and i have no doubt he will be sad about all the jellybeans etc that he can’t eat. he’s not raw or vegan in the least, but when i brought raw carrot cake for my birthday, he liked it, and ate that instead of the regular cake everyone else was eating.

thoughts? (from anyone, not just angie!)

Comments

• also, what are you all doing for easter/solstice? any raw food plans?

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Mandelicious, I feel it might be better to use “Yacon” as I have a rise in bld sugar whenever I use agave. But agave is much better than anything else on the market. The glycemic indes of Agave is low but not as low as Yacon. Good luck with satisfying so many different family dietary problems! I have NO “food” plans for Easter with family, it will be just another great raw day for me!

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I’d also say to use yacon root syrup. If you can’t find any then try some stevia.

• i have yacon and stevia… but the yacon has such a strong flavor, and the stevia has such an unpleasant flavor, that i prefer the nice, mellow maplish flavor of the agave.

• I have no problems with agave raising my blood sugar. I seem to be fine with raw chocolate too…that’s what I’m getting this year from my family for my first diabetic Easter!