Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Convulsions...NOT GOOD!

Ok, I woke up this morning and walked out of my room and rubbed my eyes. While rubbing my eyes, my entire body started to convulse…what the heck!! Never in my life has this happened to me. My whole body was jolting and I almost hit the floor but managed to remain standing. It lasted 5-10 seconds. Now I’ve been doing the raw thing for a while. I eat raw for a few day or a week and then toss in some cooked veggies here and there so this is not a shock to my system. The only things I just recently changed was taking MSM and digestive enzymes. Only been taking them for a few days now. The MSM I started with 1560mg/day which I am going to take down to 1000mg/day and I can’t see why digestive enzymes would do this.

Anyone ever have anything like this happen. This is totally totally new…never in my life. My boyfriend said it sounds like I had a seizure.

Comments

• Yow! Time to go to a doctor! Do not take this lightly, Pundee, please. If you can’t afford a doc, go to a clinic or a campus nurse, or something.

So far I’m pretty impressed with the level-headedness and the lack of dogma on this site. I sure do hope that no one advises you to avoid western medicine and go suck a pine-cone or something.

Do not swing to extremes.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

This is a little off topic but why are you taking digestive enzymes? Raw foods are full of these enzymes.

• I’d go see a doc about that. I think it might have something to do with those enzymes you have been taking. Maybe your system just didnt recognize them and reacted that way. But do go to a doctor. He can provavly have some tests ran.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Yes, sounds like a doctor visit would be a good idea.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

Yow! is right. Yes this is doctor time and pronto!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I’m not a fan of the medical establishment, but as an epileptic, I do agree with the rest that it’s time to see the pill-roller, hon.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

CALL THE DOCTOR!

• As a mother of a child who had seizures I’d agree – Doctor time and not next week – actually – I’d say ER time. And stop the enzymes thing unless they are prescribed. I would hate for this to happen while you were driving or something.

Zooey Glass – suck a pine cone – too funny!

• SarahJSarahJ Raw Newbie

Doctor – definitely. This isn’t the time to be guessing or speculating. Please go asap.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

zooey glass, pine cone sucking…. what a gas!! hahahah however pundee, i second, third and fourth everyones reply so far, EL DOCTOR pronto! as for your symptoms had a roomie once who was occularly stimulated into migranes and convulsive/concious seizures…. that is to say pressure on her eyelids, flashing lights,spinning rides, even driving through trees in the sunlight could set her off. she would twitch but remain consious and upright but would not have the where withall to speak or move…not siezing violently…twitching/shaking…then she was wiped out and needed to rest….she was not epileptic according to the docs at the time, they put her on something like ridalin…weird!

• Definitely see a doctor- you might need to get blood work done to make sure everything is in balance too. My electrolytes go out of whack pretty easily and I pass out sometimes but I’ve never seized. After a bloodtest I figured out the problem and how to control it. Your doctor should be able to help you figure out what happened and even if it doesn’t happen often, you’ll know what to do and why next time.

• yes: doctor (preferably holisitically oriented), bloodwork, and i’d say stop taking any supplements. there are too many hidden ingredients. maybe an allergy.

• I had something similar happen to me but it was like 2 years ago and I wasn’t raw or anything. I was walking down my school hallway and all the sudden it felt like my brain was twitching or something. I lost all coordination and slammed into a locker. I went to a doc and like always they were useless and didn’t know why it happened. It has never happened since then though and Im fine now, so idk. Personally I don’t like doctors but if you’re worried then see one for some peace of mind.

• JDJD

I’m sorry, I should have mentioned the doctor was a no brainer and yes I have health insurance. I was just curious if this had happened to anyone based on the supplements I was taking or if there was any insight. BTW, what a pain getting into a doctor on a weekend (especially a holiday)...headed there right now. Thanks for all the responses.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

naturally i’ll repeat the “go see a doctor thing”, but in the meantime, you may want to lay off the MSM or enzymes? maybe there’s a chance you’re having a reaction to them since you only started taking MSM so recently? i don’t even know if that’s possible, but that’s what i would do.

• JDJD

Ok yippie, not a seizure. Doc said if that were the case he would put me in the hospital but he doesn’t feel that’s it. Doc said it seems like a chemical imbalance so have to get blood work done next week along with a neurological visit. Apparently when he did a motor test, one of my legs had a shake to it. I mentioned the raw/vegetarian diet and he said it can cause deficiencies so we’ll see when the blood work comes in. In the mean time I asked about the MSM and digestive enzymes and he was fine with me taking them. Though personally, I don’t like the whole coincidence thing.

• Good for you, both for having insurance and for the diagnosis.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I was just researching msm and I found this site which said that in some people it can cause seizures. Here’s the link but I haven’t looked further into studies that back up the info. http://www.green999.com/msm.htm

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Raw_Chocoholic, that would be good link to post with a new topic head: SEIZURES and MSM…just in case somebody else is looking for this problem! I’ve looked for things and answers were embedded deep in the discussions, but if it had been in a topic head, I would have found them right away.

• JDJD

Raw_Chocoholic thank you. That would make total sense if I do not have an imbalance or the neurologist does not find anything wrong with me. I have an appointment tomorrow as well as a visit to get blood work done. I will be sure to mention my supplements. Thanks again!

I totally agree with rawmama that this information should be posted.