Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How to be safe on this site

SarahJSarahJ Raw Newbie

I think the time has come to have a quick reality/safety check and review the basics of internet/forum usage. I hope everyone will take the time to add their thoughts.

Statistically speaking, we can GUARANTEE that out of the 4000+ members on this site, there are DEFINITELY sex offenders, pedophiles, stalkers, rapists and numerous other unsavory characters. In the perfect world we would be able to share all of our information with each other but this isn’t a perfect world. We need to be safe and cautious. We are strangers to each other and it’s important to remember that.

So, the basics:

1. Do not post your address, phone number or any other information that someone could use to find you.

2. Do not mention specifically where you work or any clubs/gyms/churches/etc, that you belong to.

3. If you talk about school or classes that you are taking, don’t say which school you go to.

4. Never agree to privately meet someone that you meet over the internet.

5. Just because someone tells you something, doesn’t mean it’s true – be suspicious of someone who sounds too good to be true – they probably are.

I’m sure there are other things that we should be doing and am looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Comments

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Luna blu is not my real name, and obviously the picture isn’t me. I have thought about posting a real picture, but i don’t really know if I want to! I think some anonimity (sp?) is important. You could get into some serious trouble if you give up too much into about yourself and your wherabouts!

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Right on! Good list to start with, I will be on my way to modify my profile!!!

One thing people should be aware of is that your your full is on your profile. Most people have their full name listed, it’s listed just below your username. I just fixed that on mine. You can change it by just going to edit profile.

• Sarah J, excellent post. Thank you for taking the initiative.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Thanks, luna blu and coconutty. Changes made. it’s still me.

• SarahJSarahJ Raw Newbie

Let’s try to keep this post going and get as much input as possible. Maybe Kandace and Ray would consider putting a few safety tips on the signup page. Izhpt, I love the picture – super cute.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

CUTE PUPPY!!!

• SarahJSarahJ Raw Newbie

Awwwww – beautiful puppy !!!!!!

• I would suggest that no one post anything on the Internet that they would not be comfortable telling a complete stranger. That’s just the nature of the Internet.

Now, if you simply google brigleb, you’ll find out quite a bit about me. I’m okay with that. I personally am happy to have my picture up on here. That’s okay for me, but everyone has to think about that. Everyone has to make the decision about what to say on the Internet, and take responsibility for their own actions.

I can’t see having to go to the extent of writing up “safety tips” unless we were required to do so by law or something. In which case, certainly, we would. Sir yes sir! But personally I’d generally like to think that this is not most folks’ first experience with a discussion forum, and that good sense would prevail at all time.

(It strikes me that possibly the lack of an ability to send private messages to other members has contributed to the tendency to get quite personal in public messages on here. I don’t know. I guess it’s something to think about.)

• Right on Ray, enough said on that topic can we get back to GONE RAW..

Peace and Blessings to all…

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Good safety tips, thanks! I tend to forget that kind of stuff and be too open, I guess. Or naive, maybe.

OK… naive, probably. ;o)

• Just a thought on this topic. I have JUST changed my “info.” on here as well. My name and myspace page were on my member page and I had people contact me (via myspace) who were looking for me. Not that this is a bad thing, they just used the “cover” of “Oh I went veg. recently too and stumbled on your profile on the site”. It happened to be a complete lie to get information about a mutual friend. Be careful on any forum site anywhere on the web. There are “posers” out there. Sad but true.