Substitutions: nuts for seeds? coconut oil for olive oil?

snoopy99snoopy99 Raw Newbie

I was wondering, a lot of the recipes call for nuts, and I was wondering if i could substitute Nuts for seeds, like sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds…and I am not sure what kind of nuts they can be substituted for.

and as for coconut oil or butter…is it ok to use olive oil instead? or is that bad?

Comments

• snoopy I have a taco meat on this site that uses pumpkin seeds instead of walnuts.

Not sure about the coco vs olive … why would you want the one over the other.

• snoopy99snoopy99 Raw Newbie

mostly because i haven’t boughten it yet…and i keep coming across all of these great recipes, but I can’t use them because I don’t have the exact ingredients. and i feel like my cubboard is just getting filled with little spices and ingredients that I use for all of the new recipes i am trying out.

And i did check out your taco meat recipe..it looks great..can’t wait to try it out

• Oh I see, well if it isn’t to costly on your behalf the best thing I can do is tell you to try it. I have come across some new inventions mainly just by messing up. You never know what happens, and just a tip many people don’t do is to taste in stages. Sometimes you will find that you don’t even need some ingredients in your recipes. For example there is a tasty and I mean tasty dipping sauce that I use for a dressing http://goneraw.com/recipes/1127-Peanut-Dipping-... which has garlic in it “i don’t eat” nama shoyu “i don’t eat” and salt “which I also don’t eat”. Guess what I didn’t even use any of those things but substituted it with 1 tsp of curry powder and I was in business. There are no rules.

wow thats great…i am usually a good cook for cooked foods and can diverse my flavors and make my own substitutions, its that now that i am transitioning to raw..i feel like i am in a whole new world, and don’t know where to start..

thansk for the suggestions!

• I think if you are a good cooked food cook(even if you weren’t) you will have even an easier task when preparing raw foods! these are so easy to make and the gretest thing in them is that you can substitute almost everything to everything! Well I think the nuts-seeds subst. will work well, for the coconut oil-olive oil, it depends for making desserts I definitely wouldn’t use olive oil, but for everything else give it a go!

yeah i thought so too, and i have tried to make substitutions, but it is all trial and error. I have to be more aware of what is going in..and like ardesmond2 said, i have to taste in stages. i guess i am just too used to my usual recipes. Its been fun trying out things..

and i read through another post that you can substitute garbanzo beans with zuchini…i would have never thought of that

• And it is soooo delicious! I just made zucchini hummus, one of my favs.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I commonly mix up my nuts and seeds in recipes. You can easily substitute seeds for nuts and vice versa.

Olive oil and coconut oil taste quite different, but in many cases you can still substitute one with the other.

My favorite is actually using hemp oil because it’s nutritional profile is amazing. Check out hemp oil from Manitoba Harvest (their hemp oil is the ONLY one I like, I’ve tried others and Manitoba’s is the freshest and most flavorful!) www.ManitobaHarvest.com

Cheers! Kristen Suzanne