Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

need help with flax crackers!!!!!!!!!!

Someone please help! I have made flax crackers twice now and both times they tasted rancid. I ordered some from naturalzing to compare and they were delish. I thought maybe the pre-packaged flax was bad so I bought bulk last time. I have tried both golden and dark flax. The first recipe I ground whole flax into a powder. The second recipe, I used half ground and half whole and they both taste and smell rancid. I am dehydrating on 115. I really need something crunchy to stay on this journey! Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Hi sgmom2,

We do flax crackers regularly with no problems other than sometimes they start to ferment if we laid out the mixture to thick. They also need to be turned over as soon as they can be. This helps to dry the other side and prevent fermentation. We dry them at 105 in an excalibur. So either your rancid taste is really the taste of the flax having fermented or your seeds are really bad. Rancid flax smells like oil paint. You would smell it easily after you have ground them.

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

Are you using a high quality grinder? If it gets hot, you may be ruining the flax during the grinding stage.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

Maybe you are not letting them drying long enough in the dehydrator.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

I’ve never had any problems with my flax crackers. By the way you don’t need to grind the flax seeds. Once you soak them they will make their own slime that holds the cracker together.

I dry mine at 105, flip them as soon as they’ll hold together, and keep drying until they are super crisp and dry.

• Thanx guys, I think I was doing two things wrong.. I was grinding the flax after soaking and letting leaving the crackers too long before flipping. I have a batch in the dehydrator now that I flipped after 4 hours. I hope these turn out better. Rawnutrition, I took your advice and lowered the temp too. Thanks a bunch!

• My crackers finally turned out GREAT. Thanks Guys!