PACE-rediscovering your native fitness

lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Ardesmond—wanted to post this for you. I am still awaiting my copy of the book, but this is in a nutshell what I was getting at having not yet read the book. More after i have read it, OK?

Reply To This Post Return to Posts Index VegSource Home

From: Dr. Doug Graham (DrGraham.vegsource.com) Subject: Re: Dr. D. – interval training ala PACE/Dr. Sears vs. “endurance” training? Date: September 20, 2007 at 10:22 am PST

In Reply to: Dr. D. – interval training ala PACE/Dr. Sears vs. posted by Glenn on September 20, 2007 at 8:45 am:

Excuse me? Fitness training is ultra-specific. You get more of whatever it is you train for, if you do it properly. If your fitness goal is to run a marathon, by all means you will have to train for endurance. If you intend to compete in the 100 meter dash, endurance training won’t do you much good at all. So, the answer is, “it depends.” It depends upon your specific fitness goals. My goal, for instance, is overall, well-rounded fitness. If I were to completely leave out endurance training, I would not have well-rounded fitness. Our bodies are indeed built for bursts. But they are also built for endurance, lots and lots of endurance. How else would we be able to walk and run for what can sometimes be hundreds of miles in search of food? We are fully designed to participate in all five facets of fitness, and in order to be completely fit we must regularly do so.

Comments

• Izhpt I meant to tell you that I wanted to send you the PDF. In response to Dr. D , Al Sears touches on training for the Marathon as well as some endurance training. I also have a 45 min MP3 summary of the book. I really appreciate you taking this effort to give me your opinion “That is so COOL”.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

What book are you guys talkin about?? I’m interested to learn more about fitness.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Well you inspired me to incorporate more sprints into my workouts again. Many newbie Marathoners leave out the Fartleks (very funny on a raw site), which are those sprints and tell me they are gaining weight and SLOWING DOWN, running 50 plus miles/week—so long story—dragged my fartleking butt to the spin bike and busted out 2 min. sprint intervals, resting 2 min between for 40 min. I felt like I was going to hurl—this compared to my peaceful 8 mile run with the deer on Sat. I like the variety, though. coconutty—the book is by Al Sears called Pace- Rediscovering Your Native Fitness (please correst me, Ardesmond, if I did not get that right as i don’t have that copy in front of me).

• Laughing at IZhpt I have this vision in my head of you doing “FARTLEKS” which is to funny saying that on a RAW vegan site. “FARTLEKS” can you say it x3 times, now that’s intervals.

Coconutty it’s a book that I think a lot of people should read. I used to run half marathons at the age of 14 imagine that and shortly thereafter Traithlons and Biathlons. People always asked why I stopped and I continue to tell them because my body told me to, and now this book explains to me why. I can send you the audio PDF if you like, I would feel funny sending the book to you PDF as I don’t want to feel like I am bootlegging, but I guess it’s not really bootlegging if I don’t ask for a price hmmmmm.