Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

raw kitty food update

omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

We switched old baily over to raw (the natures variety frozen medallions)and i wanted to post some observations in case others are wondering about switching over. She is old, 19 i think, she has been loosing weight and tearing chuncks of hair out for about 4 months. when it first began we put her on an herbal thyroid med and kept on with her high quality canned cat food. she stopped tearing out her hair but did not really pick up wieght even when eating 4 cans a day! so we switched to raw two weeks ago. She made the switch really easily! she eats voraciously and growls over it ! teehee very funny and if not a bit disturbing..with canned food she nibbles politley! any how her energy is up her appitite is up her peeing is reduced (her litter box is absolutley what hell must be like! ;)) her coat is returning to its fluffy orange state instead of the greasy ashy orange it had become and best of all her breath, which caused burly navy seals used to mustard gas, to run and cry like little girls, is dare i say , tolerable… so to summerize: if you are thinking of switching…. do it! it not really any more trouble than the canned and not any more expensive than the good quality canned….of course if your hubby forgets and thaws it on the counter…well that becomes expensive..teehee

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

wow thats such a great story, I love that she growls over her raw food. Cats LOVE raw food!!!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

My kitten is raw. She goes CRAZZZZZY over the raw rabbit burgers that we buy. They’re ground up rabbit and bones and she really likes them. Of course not when we stir in a vitamin supplement though. lol

• That’s so great Om! Cute picture you paint of her growling protectively over her lil’ idea of food heaven. :)

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I ordered some raw food for my 13 year old finally. He seems to be sleeping way more than usual, and he is really obese even though he is on grain-free food and eats less than the recommended serving. I worry about him alot. I think I love him more than anything in this world. More than rain and fog, and Oolong tea. Yet I only ordered it just yesterday. It makes me sick with myself. I don’t know what I would do without him.

• Have Mersey, you may want to have a vet (I would recommend using a holisitc vet) do bloodwork to see if his thyroid is functioning properly or shut down.

Best wishes for your beloved kitty.

• This is a great topic and near and dear to my heart! I have been trying to transition my cats to raw. I completely agree with it in theory but worry about the quality of the raw meats. But then I worry about the quality of traditional pet food too. I have a kitten, well he’s a year old now, and the sweetest thing ever – I ADORE him. But he’s overweight and I’ve never had this problem before! I don’t have the time or the stomach to make my own raw food so I’ve been buying the Nature’s Variety and mixing that with their dry in the transition phase. At first they wouldn’t touch the stuff! Now I’ve gone through 2 sampler bags and they are doing better – they will eat it, if a bit reluctantly. But I just bought the big bag and they both got sick the first time they ate it – which is very rare for them. So I returned that and got another bag and just fed them that. So far, so good…

Any advice on transitioning cats to raw and what to do with an overweight cat is much appreciated. I love this guy so much and just want him to be healthy!!

• Shoot, one just got sick. Not sure what to do??

My cat eats raw ostrich now. It is ostrick meat, necks, and something else ground up together. I give a multivitamin supplement by mouth because not all of the vitamins are gotten through the ostrich. As well as probiotics. I am working on a way to get the fiber in. My cat is only 3 1/2 months old, but she’s doing great on the diet and really has a lot of energy. If you reply back, I will give you the details on the brand of ostrich, etc. I will reply back tomorrow if you are interested. Pets just mean so much to me, they are kind of my life! I do everything to keep my cats living long long long!

• TryingRaw- how much raw did you feed them? It’s best to just introduce small portions at a time for the first few weeks to get their digestive tracts accustomed to the difference (their stomach/intestines will need to produce different enzymes than with the dry kibble, from my understanding). You can gradually increas the amount of raw every few days or so, as you decrease the dry kibble. Nature’s Variety should explain it pretty decently on their packages or website. if I remember right. (At work now so can’t check the package.)

I feed my dog raw Primal and Nature’s Variety brands and he did throw up something awful one night when I let him have some of his old Evo (one of the very best of dry kibbles!) dry kibble after he he’d been raw for a couple of months. No more dry kibble for him! :) They hadn’t been off dry kibble for a bit and then had some had they?

Good luck and don’t give up hope. You’re providing your kitties the very best natural and high quality diet they could get!

The problem with Primal is that all of my cats have refused to eat it. My kitten takes her foot and paws her foot if we put that stuff out there. lol But all cats are different.