Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

D0 wheat berries have gluten?

I have no idea; I am ceoliac and can’t eat gluten. Thanks

Comments

• Yes. Wheat contains gluten as well as barley, rye, spelt, triticale and some other grains. There is much controversy with oats. I suggest doing a lot of research as there are a lot of hidden sources. Were you just diagnosed? I know some people with wheat allergy can tolerate wheatgrass, but I’m under the impression that those with celiac sprue need to fully avoid it.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

This organic bakery in my hometown started using gluten free oats last year. Don’t know if it’s some kind of hybrid, but it’s certified organic. :)

• Thanks Veganmomma, I suspected as much. I was “diagnosed” by my doctor listening to me tell about the sudden cessation of symptoms following a 2 week gluten free diet. Then she told me to eat spelt instead. We had quite a chat about that. I am so thrilled to find raw bread/pizza crusts. I HATE GF breads etc. Oats can be gf if you are certain they weren’t processed with wheat nearby. I am ok with oat groats (steel cut oats). Bob Mills or Presidents Choice Blue menu (if you are Canadian). Cheers!

• I just reread my post: I meant to ask about wheatgrass. Sometimes the brain goes slower than the keyboard

• Here is a link with some information, hopefully it helps. http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/2005/08/wheat-all…

• They have gluten, but if you sprout them you may tolerate them better, this is what I heard. Maybe you should try it and see how you feel! As I know spelt has gluten too, maybe more than regular wheat ( cuz it has more protein too)!

• Spelt has less gluten than wheat.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Millet, quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth are gluten free. Wild rice is not raw, and not a true grain (it’s a grass), but I believe it’s gluten free as well. :)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

gluten free oats are oats that are not contaminated by wheat. most often wheat and oats are grown together therefore oats have wheat residue all over them. I am looking for some gluten-free oat groats to sprout.

BTW, I am celiac too and I am too scared to try wheatgrass. but my cats love it.

• Wheat berries contain gluten. Stay away from any Raw recipes containing Rejuvelac (usually nut cheezes)—this is made from gluten-containing grains. I am a celiac also, and I wish I had been better informed about the RAW diet when I got diagnosed. I could not eat any grains, including brown rice or quinoa, or raw veggies for almost 2 years after my diagnosis b/c my digestative system was so out of whack! I think if I had just got totally raw vegan right away I would have healed a lot faster.