Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Hybrid vs genetically modified veg.

Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Are hybrids just as bad as GM veg? Hybrid, as far as I know is a new breed of plant, created by cross breeding them. As opposed to GM, which is a new plant being created by tampering with the genes of that plant. I feel that this is worse. I call these veg. ‘Frankenfood’!

So do I have it right? And which is worse or are they both not so gerat?

Thanks!

Comments

• Personally they both suck, one is confused and the other one is just plain modified who needs it. LOL I am so sure I will get jumped all over for saying this, but I try to stay away from all of it. I hear tomato are the worst when it comes to GMO, and many people don’t realize that a carrot is a cross between a yam and a beet.

• Hey Luna blu the kids want to know if you can make THAI Chili Cashews without the NAMA please…

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Hybrids will occur in nature without intervention by man. Genetically modified foods would not. There have been scientific studies on animals that show GMO products slowly thicken internal organs and other bad things. I have not read that hybrids do anything like this, although they are often more prone to extinction than natural foods.

I think one downside to engineered hybrids is that many fruits, usually bred to be sweeter, now have a higher glycemid index than their predecessos. Also, when selecting traits to hyberdize, nutrition never seems to be a consideration. Instead, the focus has been on increasing sweetness, physical appeal (like tomatoes that are always round), size, and ease of picking and longer shelf life. Most fruits and vegetables today are less nutritious then they were years ago, which may not be just limited to inadequate and unhealthy farming practices.

• I think many hybrid food are too nutritious to avoid them. Fo example pineapple and kiwi are full of digestive enzymes, beets are very high in antioxidants and can help recover from cancer, carrots are the highest in carotin apart from the superfoods. I try to avoid GM like mad, but I think hybridised food are a too broad category to avoid. Some kinds of apples are hybrids too, like jonagold.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I try to stick to what I consider old fashioned stuff. I avoid crazy new radishes or tomatoes eic. now GMo, I avoid like the plague. EEEEKK, it’s Dr. Frankenfoods monster! (picturing a Frankenstiens monster shaped tomato stumbleing toward me with its arms out front and going aaaarggg, like a zombie thing.) Ok, I am now sure of it, today is going to be one of those nutty me days!

• Yeah I agree that hybrids aren’t as scary…because it really does happen in nature. Btw, ardesmond, cute new picture of you and your wife!!! I love it!!

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Fruits and vegatables have been hybridized for centuries. They don’t bother me like genetically modified foods do. I was concerned with seedless watermelons and grapes for awhile, but I decided not to sweat the small stuff. Chemically or genetically engineered food is exponentially worse.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Ardes, sorry missed your question, I guess you could add more lime juice and add celtic sea salt instead of the nama. You are referring to my Thai flax cracks right?

• JDJD

I would have to agree with most here. Totally do not care about hybrids but genetically modified…no thank you!

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I”m familiar with hybrids from reading david wolfe but what are some examples of gmodified foods? I’d like to stay away

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

I’ve heard of GMO for a while and understand WHY its bad (in my opinion), however, I think i have no idea how to know what is GMO and how to avoid them. Other than the food label way, how can I know which foods are GMO? Is there a list?

• GMO’s = horrible- yet another example of how unsafe they are- Maxinatum’s post: http://goneraw.com/forums/6/topics/4647

Samilicious, sorry I do not know of any list to help with that other than just going off of what is certified organic and lists organic ingredients. But that will no longer be an option much longer if Codex has its way- no more true organic food and produce and ALL foods WILL have or be GMO’s by 2009. For those who may not be aware yet: http://goneraw.com/forums/6/topics/4537

Also, right now organic produce (fruits and veggies) are labeled with a sticker that begins with the number 9. Conventional produce stickers start with a “4” and genetically modified produce numbers begin with an “8.”

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Thanks aspire, Well, at least for now we can stick with organic in order to be on the safe side. Too bad for codex though…

• Samilicious, generally if something is unusually big or too symetric you can suspect that it may be GM. Typical GM foods include: papaya, corn, rice, canola, potatoes, squash.

Here’s a good source: http://www.truefoodnow.org/crop/pipeline_rdintr…