Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

when friends are misled...

omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

I had lunch with a friend today and she was telling me about this new book being the answer to her health and wieght issues:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3654291&page=1

she told me all i eat is carbs and i must be blessed with a metabolism that burns them well, while hers is more suited to burning fats….i didnt know what to say really, she did take my suggestion of moving more, so instead of killing herself running everyday for 40 minutes she takes a long walk three times a day.. are you all as speechless as i?

Comments

• OM is this a APRIL fools joke really !!!!!

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Well that is definitely interesting!

• kay. first it was bad fats. now its bad carbs. This is just one more case of people grasping at straws to find one isolated nutrient to explain away the types of health problems in the “civilized” world. Rather than use logic and just look at food processing; they want to find one thing they can modify and go on eating in exactly the same way we are. I’m starting to think people are really nutty. But I agree with some of it. Refined carbohydrates, yes. But I know some people, who don’t read into this much, like some of my family members… will look at research like this and say… “hey I don’t have to excersise to be healthy. And fruit/ veg must be bad cause they are carbs! YAY!” ie people who wouldn’t read the entire book and what not. But some of it is definately interesting. It makes sense that we would be best adapted to eat foods our ancestors ate because we’ve had the greatest amount of time to adapt to those foods… THAT WOULD EXPLAIN WHY RAMBUTAN MAKES ME PROJECTILE VOMIT!!!lol. cool info. Thanx. :)

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Hmm. Of course, I don’t like the emphasis on animal products, but I think that some of the ideas in the article seem sound – it’s the evolutionary angle that a lot of raw people emphasize, too, and I think it does have some merit.

But I think it’s absurd to suggest that there was such high access to animal products millions of years ago! I don’t know when domestication happened, but it certainly wasn’t that easy to catch live game, much less to milk a wild animal!

I don’t know – I haven’t read the book, but the emphasis in the article is largely on cutting out refined carbs, which rawies don’t eat anyway. There’s a big difference insulin-wise between wonder bread and, say, sprouted quinoa. I don’t know – I think a lot of the article isn’t necessarily contradicting the ideas that guide raw eating (the fat issue will definitely resonate with those of us who do well on nuts and avocado), even if it does support foods most of us wouldn’t touch. But man, if it advocates avoiding fruit (it didn’t seem like it did, but not sure…), I would have to throw down. A life without fruit is a life not worth living, IMHO.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

to me this article read like a televangelist show…i didnt neccisarily disagree with the logic and some of it even resonated with my personal beliefs, but then it got all wonky…..i mean i am not that big a fruit eater, in fact im monitoring my fruit intake at the moment( pants got a bit tight…teehee) some how my smoothies went from one peice of fruit and greens to several pieces..makes a big diff to me personally as i seem to put on weight and feel hungry all the time the more fruit i eat. my friend was saying that the harder she excesizes the more ravenous she feels, the more she eats the less satisfied she feels, so her thoughts are to excersize less, eat no carbs and eat more protein….i told her the story of the amish study i read about somewhere where they take , i dont know, so many thousands of steps a day in their average life…its like triple what the average american couch potatoe takes, anyhow she is going to try to move more and not do one heavy work out followed by inactivity. i can see how this would make one fat, sit , burst of energy, eat, sit….move it or lose it my fav saying! i point out that she may be disatisfied after eating because what she is eating is lacking in some nutrient her body needs… i dont think it sunk in as her responce was” she could never do what i do, and she doesnt buy that protien is more “available ” in veggies than in meat…..

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

What’s really amazing is the Amazon reader reviews. Huge raves.

Click on the link to read the 1-star reviews, too. It seems the book is poorly written, a real dense thicket of this guys ‘research’, hard to find out what he thinks you should eat already.

Atkins was a big thing here too. A few people lost a bunch of weight on it (none of them kept it off) but their eyes were absolutely dead and dull. Awful stuff.

Aside from any other considerations, meat is the product of another creature’s suffering and death. How can any benefit possibly come from eating such a thing?

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Did I get this guy right? Is he just another Atkins idiot? I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming when he say carbos. he mean the refined ones like stuff made with white flour.

The statement that really blew me away is that obeisity is a fat storage issue and is not due to lack of exercise and eating too much! Why then, do I lose weight quicker when I get my but to the gym?

One happy thing, I am of Meditarian background, so I can keep eating my beloved raw olives and olive oil!

This just looks like another attempt at giving the people the easy way out! And we all know that is what everybody wants, the magic pill that will help them with little to no effort on their part!

Btw, if I remember corectly, the Atkins guy died of cardiovascular disease and then his company went bankrupot. CV disease, no kinddin!

Ps cute new pics both om and ardesmond!

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

luna blu,

Yah, obesity is a fat storage issue, not a diet or exercise issue. Poverty is due to lack of money, not earning too little and spending too much. Got it.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Dr. Robert Atkins died from a fall on the ice at age 72. He did not have cardiovascular disease. His company did go bankrupt following his death.

Funny, I was told the CV issue by the owner of a suppplement store! Well, if the ice hadn’t got him, I’m sure the bacon slathered in butter would have!:)

• Wow..Obesity is a disorder of excess fat accumulation, not overeating, and not sedentary behavior… I can’t believe that this guy is being taken seriously….animal products contain all the amino acids, minerals, and vitamins essential for health.. Did he really just say that? If I ate only meat, cheese and eggs… I’d gain 20 pounds in a month. And no exercise? Oh my… I think this guy may have been paid by the meat industry to say all this crap.

• I just have to say that the body is an amazing intelligent piece of work, that keeps most people alive by adapting to there somewhat silly ways of eating. People think that they can eat anything and run 20 miles a week, and this makes them healthy “WRONG”. How skinny you are has nothing to do with your health, there has been countless studies done on people who run marathon’s that show there hearts are not in good shape. It’s sad there is instruction and classes you have to take to learn how to drive, but people never take time to find out how the body works. I could say ATP in a room full of folks and they wouldn’t have the slightest idea what that means or what it’s for, but if you said ATKINS people no how he died how to do the diet even if they haven’t done it. There is no money in healthy people or dead people just slightly sick or what I like to call Half-DEAD. We owe it to the generation coming up to change the face of health by raising conscious kids. The time is now to take control of your health and stand up in what you believe in. There are a lot of 100% people on this site with there mute button on all day because we don’t have a high gas bill or eat out at the local restaurant, people there is nothing wrong with a living foods diet, but I can see why people think it’s a joke when we act all meek about it.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i think the false logic when we equate weight loss with health. there are many ways to lose weight, but they aren’t all optimal for your health.

everyone has their theory, but you don’t have to stick your head out the car window on the freeway to dry your hair. there are OTHER ways. ;)

Ardesmond, I will probably spell this terribly wrong, but I am not pulling out my old text books, here goes, Adenosine tri phosphate! Boo Yaa! Rememberd something from college!:)

Also, you are so right!!!I have a good friend, who’s two little ones know me as Auntie, I have been watching them be fed hot dogs and SAD crap since they were able to chew. Here are two blank canvases, paint a true picture of healthfull eating for ccrap sake! Of course, I can’t say anything, as they are not my children, although I love them very much! At lest thery will eat properly at my house!

• hahah! good point pianissima.

• Wow Luna Blu the blue gree algae is doing wonders for you dahling…. LOL

pianissima that is to funny…... I have to try that next time since people think eating liquid chicken and BACK-en or is bacon is ok 3 times a day.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

pianisima, har har good one! luna thanks, taking a bow… ardes kudos to you !you are doing something about your kids education in food , this same friend of mine highlighted in this thread, cant understand how i live without a microwave..her fav is” If i had kids id see how hard it is to prepare food from scratch for them…” wha? sad huh?

• “We owe it to the generation coming up to change the face of health by raising conscious kids. The time is now to take control of your health and stand up in what you believe in.” – Ardesmond

Ardesmond well said! As passionate as you are about it, have you read the post “EVERYBODY needs to know this!”? I think you would be great at helping spread the word and standing up to what’s happening to us behind most everyone’s back!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

hee hee. thanks. people will try anything to skirt around their own insanity =)

ardesmond2—the mute button is interesting. i find myself keeping quiet a lot of times, but if ASKED i will absolutely tell people what i think. what do you usually tell people… i just don’t know where to start sometimes!

omshanti—civilization had existed for thousands of years thanks to packaged junk food and microwaves. get with it! =)