Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

bleach and sprouting

omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

i desided to sprout for the first time…im late to the party i know, but i finally got tired fo my mung bens going all slimey sooo, i bought some to sprout, when i researched the topic they reccomend soaking the seeds rpior to sprouting in bleach then rinsing really well then sprouting , to combat ecoli…..uh….yuck!!! any one else do this?

Comments

• OM please BLEACH no way I have never heard this one before. I just sprouted some mung beans last week minus the bleach and they were so tasty with spinach and a turmeric salad dressing.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

The information here seems to make sense: http://www.sproutpeople.com/safe.html It sounds like the whole foodbourne illness this is such a tiny percentage At the website above, they say: “In the worst outbreak ever attributed to sprouts, the cases of salmonella amounted to only 1/3 of 1% of the FDA’s figure for annual cases in the US.” Plus, organic seed has never been the cause of illness. So if you’re worried, buy organic.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I have heard of using food safe hydrogen peroxide, but i don’t do it! Don’t do bleach either! Carcinogen!!

I just rinse my container really well with viniger, and then rinse with boiling water to make sue the container is bacteria free. Why would mung beans have e-coli on them. Am i mistaken as to where they truly come from? EEW, snicker.;)

• I use 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide when I’m sprouting all the time. It helps keep the bacteria at bay. As a matter of fact we have an RO water system that uses food grade hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach. (I should clarify…I use a bit of food grade peroxide in my sprouting water – my sprouting water isn’t totally 3% fg peroxide.)

• DO NOT USE BLEACH!!!! It is a very stupid idea to soak them in bleachy water. Bleach is very toxic. I agree with Luna blu, applying vinegar and hot water to the container should work!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

thanks, yeah i dont do bleach…i dont even own bleach…