Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sun dried tomatoes--anything else to use?

snoopy99snoopy99 Raw Newbie

i love italian food…but I HATE sun dried tomatoes…when i make raw recipes from the site that includes it, I don’t know what else to use, then i end up wasting my food becuase i end up not liking it…ie marinara sauce or pizza sauce…what can i use instead?

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

you can make raw tomato sauce with a little avocado to thicken it. a date would work too (the consistency becomes more jelly like though).

you can also just chop us some tomatoes (take out the inside seeds and water so you don’t make soup), a little minced garlic, some basil leaves, olive oil, sea salt, pepper and you have a beautiful chunky tomato sauce. you can mash it with a fork, or blend it. also, you can stick it in the dehydrator to gently warm up before eating.

hope that helps.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

You love italian food but hate sundried tomatoes??? What’s wrong with you!!! haha, just kiddin! Can’t really think of any other ideas other than what pianissima has already come up with! I suppose you could de-seed fresh tomatoes, mash them up and then strain them to remove the rest of the juices. that would give you a thicker sauce with out the sundried richness!

ClaireT
  • snoopy99snoopy99 Raw Newbie

yeah i don’t know. i think its the sweetness in them…i like tomato paste but that’s not raw

ClaireT
  • SpinachleafSpinachleaf Raw Newbie

I just wanted to show solidarity about hating sun-dried tomatoes, at least the ones I have come across sold in jars. I love tomatoes, but sun-dried just don't suit my taste buds. I grew up with an italian mother who produced amazing food. Either these weren't available to her, (grew up in UK in 50s and 60s) or they just weren't part of her repertoire. Anyway, isn't sun-dried kind of cooked by the sun? Not really raw, not that I'm exclusively raw, but I thought this was all about raw food. Have only just logged on so not completely tuned in to this website yet.

ClaireT
  • Matt_RawMatt_Raw Raw Jr. Leader
    It's still considered raw when dried or heated by the sun or a dehydrator upto 50 degrees Celsius. So raw doesn't actually mean cold haha.
    ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

"Warm dried" might describe it? I never really thought about it. I just keep the temperature low enough to avoid cooking anything,