Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Coconut Water Substitute

kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

anyone know a good one? I love coconut water and usually use it for my running and then have none when a recipe calls for it. I was thinking maybe blending a little coconut butter and water to make 1/2 cup or so when a recipe warrants? what do you all think?

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I saw a site that uses dried coconut and water, blended and strained like nut mylk, if necessary. It might have been The Sunny Raw Kitchen that does that.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

kminty: I’m not sure. You might be able to approximate the taste, but I’m not sure if you can replace the electrolytes, at least not completely.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

1 cup dried shredded coconut, 4 cups pure water, sweetener. Try it out and tell me how you like it :)

V

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

thanks all! will try! I know the electrolytes rock.. that’s why I use all mine straight for running and have no left for soup, etc

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

before I knew the tall cans of coconut water were pasturized, I bought them by the caseload, I never noticed a slump at all. I meant to write the company and find out more about the packaging process.

• snoopy99snoopy99 Raw Newbie

you could add Smart water to the dried coconut for the electrolytes :)

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Good point snoopy!

one question…what can you use to substitute coconut meat? there are so many delicious recipes that include it and i don’t always have time to go get coconuts…

could you use avocados or bananas? but they have taste…i am looking for any substitute other than nuts, i have seen people say use cashwes and water…but i would like the recipe to stay nut free…

Good question Snoopy. I can’t get raw Thai coconuts here and I don’t want to order them online. I see young coconut meat in a recipe and I move on. There are some recipes that I would like to try…with a substitute for coconut.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

you cant find any dried coconut meat?

If you’re asking me, yes, I can get dried coconut, but it isn’t the same texture in recipes…is it?

we are talking about the coconut meat that is straight from the young coconut

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

snoopy99 i’ve subbed dehydrated coconut for the coconut meat frequently. Sunfood Nutrition sells it. I hate hacking the coconut—never seem to get it right, except for the water part. i don’t use it much.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

snoopy 99: I just found some raw coconut flour online at:

http://www.livingtreecommunity.com/store2/produ…

I don’t know if it will work. You might need to combine it with coconut oil/butter to get that creamy texture.

I’m not sure what else to use as a substitute. Lucuma (maybe combined w/coconut oil/butter) will give you a creamy texture, but lucuma does have flavor to it. It’s kind of fruity w/a maple flavor. :)