Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Horrible Itchy Rash

I’ve only been raw for about two months, but I’ve noticed that whenever I use my lotions or perfumes from Bath and Body Works I get a horrible itchy rash!! I used some Sensual Amber body butter on my elbows and hands, and sprayed some of the perfume all in my hair. My hands, arms, and neck all itch really bad and have little bumps all over them.

What’s weird is that I never had this reaction to these products BEFORE I switched over to raw eating. Has anyone else had any reactions to beauty products like this?

josss

Comments

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

Most scents are highly toxic. In fact many of the perfumes and lotions, “natural” included, contain ingredients that have to be disposed of as toxic waste! I don’t know why you are just suddenly having a reaction but IMHO it’s a good idea to stay away from all commercial skin products.

I use coconut oil as a moisturizer (it’s wonderful!). It’s also possible to make your own skin products out of beeswax, olive or almond oil, coconut oil, shea butter, and natural organic essential oils if you want them to be scented (I prefer without scents).

Mountain Rose Herbs is a good supplier of organic essential oils: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

josss
  • Wow! This is pretty much the same issue I’m having. I’ve been raw a couple months and have become allergic to the metal rivets on my jeans, it leaves an itchy rash where they touch my skin. I have to tape up all the rivets. I was thinking it must be something with the diet change because I’ve worn jeans forever with no problem. I’ve never had a metal allergy at all, for that matter. Why wouldn’t eating raw make us less suseptible to allergens instead of more so?

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

Thanks, greenie! After I switched to raw and also found out that all of my bath products have toxic ingredients in them, I decided to keep using them anyway until they ran out. I didn’t want to waste money by dumping them in the trash, so I guess I’ll give them to my non-raw mom, who doesn’t have weird reactions to Bath and Body Works stuff. I’m kind of glad to get rid of all that stuff, though, because it takes up a lot of space, haha.
    Wow, ladymacbeth, I’ve never heard of metal allergies! I hope I don’t start having weird reactions to metal too.

• Sabrina1979Sabrina1979 Raw Newbie

I did some reseach on cosmetic and I will probably start using Dr. Hauschka. My mom has been using there products for a long time and I just realized that they are all natural. Even our whole foods in Austin sells it. But I havent tried it yet, quiet expensive and I will need to save up some to get me a few things. Hope this helps.

ladymacbeth, I’m VERY tempted to make a bad joke on your name about stains on hands but I will refrain!

It sounds like you and rachel are detoxing, too, as well as becoming more sensitive to toxins. Itchy stuff can be liver detox and I’ve always found juice of 1/2 lemon in a cup of hot water first thing in the AM is great for that. As well as all the other stuff you are doing.

I generally stay away from supplements and packaged products but one thing I’ve found quite excellent for metal detox is Natural Cellular Defense Zeolite. The cheapest place to get it is on eBay, but make sure you are getting the NCD brand. It is a tremendous detoxer of heavy metals and promotes alkalinity, which is a good thing. It is sold via MLM, which I hate. And I’m sure it’s overpriced. But it does the trick.

If you want to become a distributor, call Michael Snyder and let him know greenie from Gone Raw sent you. His number is (503) 771-3904.

Thanks, Sabrina!!! I’ve been wanting to find an all-natural makeup brand. Dr. Hauschka looks pretty expensive, but not untouchable. Yay! Thanks for the lemon juice tip… do you actually juice the lemon?

Rachel,

Yes, I juice the lemon. If it’s a very large lemon, I use less than half. It’s a refreshing start to the day and helps flush the colon too (but gently).

I’ve found for me anyhow sticking to fruit in the morning is best. If I’m really hungry I add a little avocado to a fruit salad for breakfast. YMMV.

I haven’t looked into Dr. Hauschka in a long while. That used to be excellent. Sabrina, thanks for the reminder. Weleda also used to be a good natural brand. I haven’t checked their ingredients lately, though. It may be a little less expensive than Dr. H. Mountain Rose Herbs has some skin care items they make themselves that look pretty good. I may order their unscented skin cream.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

:) Your body is becoming really “natural”. It is returning to its natural balance which means it won’t like all those toxic products. It is rejecting them. This is a good thing. Your becoming cleaner. :)

Your skin absorbs these things so that is why you are having the reactions – your body is detoxing them out.

Do you really want to use products with a bunch of chemicals in it anyhow?

Yeah, I usually eat only fruit in the morning, like an apple and a pear or some grapes. What do you mean by “used to be” excellent? Have those brands started adding toxic preservatives? D:

Ahh, now I’m wondering what I should do to wash my hair. All the commercial brands I’ve been using have sodium lauryl sulfate and cetyl alcohol and a million other ingredients I can’t pronounce. Blech.

rachel,

By ‘used to be’ I mean I just haven’t checked them out lately. When I used them years ago they were fine. They may still be great, I just don’t know.

I noticed that Mountain Rose Herbs have a few shampoos that are without Sodium Lauryl Sulfate etc. They looked pretty good. I’m going to place an order soon. I’m about out of shampoo and have been looking for something, too.

Ohh, I see. Thanks for the tip, I’m definitely going to check out Mountain Rose Herbs. I already bookmarked them. :)

• josssjosss Raw Newbie
    Wow it's amazing that other people have had allergic reactions to Bath & Body Lotion. For about the last four or five months I've been breaking out in red itchy bumps. My PCP doctor didn't even know what it was. Hydrocortisone and Gold Bond powder didn't help either. I've got a dermatologist appointment Friday. I tried different types of lotion like Aveeno and oatmeal body wash and it's not going away. I have a feeling I have an allergic reaction to that. They did blood test and it's just allergies I like Airborne things that I'm allergic to. But I have a feeling it's the lotion Good to read this info. Thanks
    ClaireT
  • AsusanneaAAsusanneaA Raw Jr. Leader

The cosmetics may give you a rash because even though they are vegan/organic/natural the list of ingredients may be actually long and contain a lot of nasty stuff. Always read the label! I switched to more niche cosmetics I either make them myself at home Etsy is a lifesaver if you want to get the components. The brand that I am using for everything from lotions to toothpaste is Virginic -> https://virginic.com/. They use only natural ingredients hence the short shelf life and are reasonably priced. I'm a huge allergic and I have really sensitive skin, this company helped me so much. My skin is soft and I don't experience any irritation/redness as with most beauty brands. Definitely recommend checking them out!