Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Tahini?

kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I buy arrowhead mills organic tahini? anyone know if it’s raw? I emailed the company but haven’t heard back. IF it’s not, anyone know a good raw one. I’m on a tahini kick lately.. I find mixed with nama shoyu and some vinegar it’s the best dressing (it’s the first dressing i’ve liked since experimenting raw)

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I don’t know which tahini’s are raw… but I just posted a recipe you’ll probably love! http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/3677-Sesame-Tahi…

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Artisana nut butters and Tahini are raw. I buy it to use in certain recipes, but I am not really keen on the stuff by itself. :(

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I buy the same one, kminty. There are ways to make your own if you feel like soaking the sesame seeds. Some of those really raw ones are $29 a jar!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i read that arrowhead mills temps get very high… higher than raw. if you look at the glass jar it doesn’t say “raw” anywhere. plus, tahini isn’t necessarily raw, it’s just PURE tahini paste.

if you google arrowhead mills and raw i think you’ll find supporting evidence.

depending on what you use tahini in, i would just add straight sesame seeds to your blender and recipes… it comes out smoothe and fresh. OR you can make your own.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

oh, don’t google, blackle! =)

blackle.com (energy saving google)

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I thought I was buying Rejuvinative(sp?) raw tahini, but someone on the forums said that when sesame seeds are hulled, heat is used and they are all dead. So the huge amount of money I’ve been spending was on a bogus product, I guess. I would make my own sesame pate, but I can’t figure out how to work my Mom’s Champion.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

thanks all! I finally got this response from arrow head mills Dear Ms. Morris,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding our Organic Sesame Tahini. We apologize for the delay in our reply and appreciate your patience. We strive to maintain the highest quality products and we appreciate your patronage.

The sesame seed is dried using heat and air prior to grinding to remove moisture. The sesame is not toasted or roasted. Heat is generated during the buttering process which allows for oil separation and creamy texture. The temperatures are above 118 degrees in the buttering process.

Thank you for your continued support. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-434-4246, Monday through Friday from 7AM – 5PM Mountain Time.

Sincerely,

Karen Consumer Relations Representative