Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Fell way off the wagon!!

Ok barf! I must confess I’ve been eating more cooked vegetarian food over the past couple weeks than I’d like to admit. Ugg and I feel disgusting! On top of that I missed a week at the gym due to allergy season. I don’t have allergies but once in a while (once a year or couple of years) I react with everyone else. I missed the gym however because I just felt sick from it. Don’t know how people deal with that stuff. Ok, so I feel like a disgusting blob and I ate 4 cookies today! This is sooo bad! I figure if I put it out there and tell you guys what a mess I’ve been it will help me get back on track. One thing I’ve noticed for sure…once I eat cooked food with sauces, pasta and crazy seasoning or cookies, pizza or anything else that just so wonderful for me…I’m never full. I still want to eat. Talk about unsatisfying. No wonder I used to weigh more. Nothing feels as good as raw food but ya know something…it took me going grossly off the wagon to really really feel it! Does that make sense? I guess I didn’t realize just how good I felt until I started messing with my diet.

Starting tomorrow, I’m back! Feel much better when mainly raw.

Comments

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

Wow, yes that totally makes sense. I have a little story to share of my own. I had been doing really well for a while. Then one day, there were these doughnuts(yes, I know…so bad!) out at this place I was working at. For some reason I just had to have one and boy was it ever just not so good. I felt bad and it was so not worth it! I think sometimes some of us just have to take a few steps back in order to really understand how great raw eating is. Sure there is some cooked food out there that just looks and sounds so tempting and delicious, but we have to remember that it’s not going to help anything. But don’t beat yourself up if you fall off ever so often. There are worse things in life than eating junk once in a while. But I agree, you really feel much better when you are eating right.

• juicyjuicy Raw Newbie

I know exactly how you feel! I just fell into the cooked world addiction for 4 days…I felt HORRIBLE the whole time. I would start off the day being raw and fruity and then at night give in to some craving of what people were eating around me. The whole time I knew that I would never be able to eat the SAD way at any time in my life again. I 100% agree that it takes falling off of the bandwagon to know what you are going back to- a horrible feeling! I have been really giving myself a hard time about falling off so many times, too many to count really since I first had the idea to be a raw foodist back last May. It is now almost a full year later, and the cravings for SAD food have gotten less and I know that I want to be raw more than ever! I think that last binge was one of the last ones for me, because I feel like now all that is required is to just push through cravings and not give in- redirecting thoughts has been a powerful thing that I have discovered! Good luck to you and don’t feel guilty about what happened..it is our bodies natural reaction. We have been addicted to cooked food with chemicals for so long that once we being releasing them, we crave them again. Mind over body!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I ate a few cooked ver things last weekend. I won’t do that again. I have an incredible amount of gas! The meals were disappointing anyway. live and learn!

• Mine has to do with emotions. For the most part I can withstand any sort of temptation that comes my way – and believe me there are a lot! My fiance is a great cook. But when I get upset all I want to do is eat bread and cheese (my comforts) and ice cream. And then of course I feel like total crap. But I’m new to raw and haven’t figured out how to dehydrate so that anything comes out edible. And I have a hard time finding quick “junk” food recipes. And when I want it now, let’s be honest, I don’t want the time consuming recipe, I want to grab the bag of chips. :)

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

Falling off the wagon really can be good depending on what we make of it. After I did the master cleanse I was so set on how great my eating habits were going to be, unrealistically so. Two weeks later I had greasy french fries at a birthday party and they truly made me feel ill. That’s one temptation I know I won’t have to deal with anymore because I really learned from it. And this weekend, I ate some vegan pizza, which I felt ok, but then had to go and have a big bowl of mini wheats for dessert.. I was emotional eating because I completed a hard run that day and was “rewarding myself”. But after, I felt way to full, ill, and could clearly see that I was rewarding myself with food and not at all hungry for that kind of food. Lesson learned, good lesson learned!

• JDJD

Thank you all for sharing. I’ve fallen off the wagon before and felt the difference before, just not this bad. Part of me felt that vegetarian was ok and I didn’t have to be sooooo raw but get real…what was I thinking. I guess part of it was all the other people that do just fine being vegan and vegetarian and thinking, it’s still better than SAD and should be ok (Heck, I was a SAD eater for 34yrs). Well, the reality of it is NO! I tried being less raw and opening up my diet and it just doesn’t work for me. Did I go overboard? YES! but I realize that part of it was because it was just so ungratifying and I kept chasing a feeling that I just wasn’t going to get (the one from being raw). I don’t beat myself up for it. I’m glad I did it, just don’t want to continue and think it’s best to get back on the high raw highway.

• Girlfridae1Girlfridae1 Raw Newbie

Pundee I know how you feel. I’ve been eating cooked food for two days now and really don’t know why, but my bloated tummy and general ‘down’ physical feeling tell me that it’s best to go back to raw. I am so listless and sleepy. It’s weird how in tune you become with your bod when eating raw…

Tomorrow is a new day though so I plan on forgiving myself and starting the day with a delicious green smoothie:)

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I don’t think that anyone is out of control, based on what I’ve read. But, if you feel that way, I think a Master Cleanse will break that. I recently did one, not because I was out of control, just to detox. My WORST habit (for most of my life) has been SALT. After the MC, I was able to choose which foods I wanted to put in my diet since I was starting at ground zero and it worked! I had a few other habits that I easily broke after the MC. It will also fix any damage you might have done eating junk. You will definitely lose the bloat, stomach upset and listlessness.

• snoopy99snoopy99 Raw Newbie

i am no the same bandwagon…going off raw on the weekends, and raw on the weekdays..and off raw by dinner! haha…bingeing on totally bad foods…

but i was reading some books, and some of the popular raw foodist took them 5 -6 years to actually go 100%. So we can’t beat ourselves up for this..its a learning experience, and something we can’t just change overnight. Some can change overnight, but we have many years of bad habits we have to overcome. That’s the way i look at it. I feel like, if i eat raw “most” of the time it is better than not having raw in my life at all. And trying to make sure that my food combinations on my non-raw meals are good!

all in all…this is how we all learn!

• I agree totally with Snoopy99…we do have many years of bad habits to overcome and its not just the physical aspect of eating, but its also emotional and mental for a lot of us. Food is a big part in everyone’s life; it symbolizes nourishment, comfort and is a way for us to socialize and come together with our loved ones. Once you try to change the structure you have followed for years, it is bound to cause a small disruption in your life. Luckily, it seems to be a mostly positive disruption once we get our cravings under control :) It’s also fun when you start craving raw foods! I get so excited!

But anyway, don’t feel bad, its a learning process. I find my weakness is pasta. I have tried the zucchini and squash pastas but something about the texture of the veggies instead of pasta just doesn’t satisfy my craving. Maybe I should invest in a spiral slicer… :) Good luck!!

• OK I can tell you guys something totally gross…One of my old favorite SAD treats were twinkies (the worst thing ever!) and I gave in yesterday and opened one up…I have roommates who keep them in the pantry..and oh my GAWD, it tasted like gasoline! Needless to say I didn’t finish it, but wow, my tastebuds have really adjusted to natural food since I’ve been raw.

• snoopy99snoopy99 Raw Newbie

haha…lauralai..that’s hilarious. Lily loo, I am with you on the pasta. When I make raw pasta, i don’t like it. It seems really gross to me. There is something about the noodles and warmed pasta sauce thatI love. I was sitting at lunch and i saw some girl have baked rigatoni! and the weather is so cold, and her food looked so good, even though i had a good lunch of green papaya salad, the site of that pasta made me drool!

• FeeFee Raw Master

I fell off the wagon deliberately last night – but I think it was to prove to myself I wouldnt like it! We went to the local chippy (thick cut french fries and fish in batter) and I had an order of chips and mushy peas and although the first one or two tasted good – the rest was yuck but stipudly i continued eating it. Just to prove I didnt like it. At least I wont be doing that again. Im thinking of getting a copy of raw in ten so I can have some quick recipes.

Dont beat yourself too much pundee I think there are quite a few of us on here that do manage to fall off the wagon from time to time. I know we would like to be better and I am sure we will continue to get further and further on our wagons each time before we fall off again.

• JDJD

I’ve never heard of raw in ten. Does anyone out there have it? What are your thoughts? Worth the buy? Almost sounds like a must have.

• I don’t have the book Raw in Ten, but I have tried the grilled cheese recipe from it… not good.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

You might want to check out amazon.com for reviews. I’ve heard some mixed reviews, more negative than positive. :)

• NuttgirlNuttgirl Raw Newbie

Don’t beat yourself up over it. It doesn’t accomplish anything. I’ve learned that when I fall off the wagon, and boy there have been many times, I just slowly incorporate more raw foods into my diet. Last month I ate a lot of cooked vegetarian foods and I felt terrible but once I started to add more raw fruits and veggies I began to feel better. I find that if I have more realistic food goals it is easier for me to maintain a raw diet.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I eat what my body wants, and lately that has been GRAINS! I haven’t figured out what to do with raw sprouted grains, so I have been eating whole-grain breads, tortilla chips, muffins, etc. (I am super-stressed with school and need something easy.) I don’t have the raw high I usually have, and I have gas. I have found that if I eat something raw first, like have an apple and then eat my veggie sandwich (raw veggies on cooked whole-grain bread), it is better and I don’t have the “never-satisfied” feeling that I get when I don’t have the enzymes from my raw, living foods. I am definitely going to start sprouting some grains, though, because I want to feel GOOD all the time. I have been feeling better the more I have added more raw foods. One thing that really helps me is to make a raw shake (raw cashews, fruit, chocolate, etc.). Very rich, satisfying, and easy to make even when I’m starving and feel like I can’t wait another minute!

• FeeFee Raw Master

Thanks achin70 – I remember before looking at the book and it had very mixed reviews, but having just gone and looked again there are no reviews giving it less than 4 stars. Reading the post it appears as if many posts were previously written by one person who had a down on the book and these have now been removed. I have far too many cookbook or I suppose I should say recipe books and I think if I get rid of one or two which I never use I could treat myself to this. As with all recipe books not all the recipe books will suit everyone.

Renoir if you are interested he has a website rawinten.com and a podcast you can listen to.

Finally, hope you are doing ok Pundee. I have jacket and beans today as I was out with my parents and its easier than causing problems. Luckily my mum understand that I want to eat raw and is ok with it. She is even going to try more than a teaspoon of green smoothi tonihgt.Big cyber Hug for you.

• JDJD

Hey all. Feeling better these days. Back at the gym too so that makes a huge difference for me. I was feeling like such a blob lol. Almost back to normal. Of course I still have funky gas (TMI) but that will pass hahaha!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I finally started sprouting grain (wheat and barley soaking right now), and I just went and traded some almond butter in (I had stocked up a while back and still had an unopened jar) and bought a bunch of vegetables, so I can eat all raw again! I haven’t slept well the last 3 nights, and besides the gas :/ I have had extremely high blood sugar (which is why I can’t sleep at night). I found a recipe book I have had for a long time but never used – it has a lot of recipes for sprouted grain breads, crackers, etc. and now that I have a juicer that will make the bread doughs, I am excited to start using them! I have eaten all raw so far today (I was only around 50% – 60% for the last week), and I feel better already! Now I have to go find some recipes to make with the veggies I just bought! :)