Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Toxic Plastic Bottles

I know many of us don’t use plastic bottles anymore, but this interview on the Today Show really got me looking at the bottom of the few plastic bottles I still own and my husband uses at the gym (I should say formerly used at the gym!).

April 9: Do chemicals in the plastic bottles you use every day make them unsafe? Matt Lauer talks with Dr. Leo Trasande of the Mount Sinai School of Medicine.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/2402351...

SIGG or glass bottles for us!

Edited to add:

I don’t think that original interview is there anymore, but here is a follow up interview and the link they mentioned:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/2402351…

www.iatp.org

Comments

• Sabrina1979Sabrina1979 Raw Newbie

oh wow..thanks for sharing, i have to admdit we still use water bottles, what are you guys drinking out of when you are on the go, since I am pretty new to this..and Michele, help a newbie and explain to me what SIGG means…thank you

• Does all of this apply to Penta water too? I purchase this water and I carry it in the bottle when I’m out.

• I got 2 siggs after reading about nalgenes…Sigg is a swiss company that makes aluminum bottles that don’t leach bad stuff into your water. They’re also pretty unbreakable and have cool designs on them. You can order a brush so they are really easy to clean (my nalgenes always had a layer of scum in them, ew!). I use mine for water and smoothies and they work great! Never drink out of plastic!

• gypsycowgirlgypsycowgirl Raw Newbie

Are they aluminum or stainless steel? Also, have found a good way to sterilize anything is to rinse with water that has a few drops of grapefruit seed extract.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i recently discovered i could buy 39 cent/gallon “reverse osmosis” water at whole foods (other health food stores do this as well). since it’s just me, i fill 1 gallon at a time, but you can buy 5 at a time (or multiple containers). they sell non-toxin containers.

for on the go i use glass (resused kombucha bottle). i’m saving up for a sigg though.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

sabrina—sigg is a brand of non-toxic water bottles. they are very pretty. a bit pricey.

Thank you…I will go get me one asap

now…is it ok to use tab water and let it run through a filter like Britta?

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I have a ceramic water cooler at home and my office. I started going by the local health food market and picking up their empty glass 1 gallon apple juice containers from the juice bar. I use those to replace my 5 gallon polycarbonate cooler bottles and they work just fine. Actually the 1 gallon containers are easier to deal with. I buy water that is cleaned via RO, carbon and infrared (it’s all done in the same machine) and when I bring it home I remineralize it. If I make lemon water or something I want to carry on me I have a stainless steel bottle I use. I do miss being able to squeese the plastic bottle though.