Blenders/enzymes?

I was just reading that high-speed blenders can destroy many of the enzymes in food because of the high friction rate of the blades, especially those in wheatgrass. Does anyone else have an opinion/information on this? Sometimes digging through the internet for information can be confusing. I am going to buy a juicer soon but I am not sure which model to go with, it would be cool to have one that can juice wheatgrass as well but one that isn’t too expensive because I am on a budget :).

Comments

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

There does seem to be plenty of information out there on that topic but keep in mind that it would only happen to that part of your food that the friction caused to heat up to the required temperature, which wouldn’t be much.

I suspect the primary source for that info are vendors who sell masticating juicers who are trying to appeal to our purist sensibilities. Just thinking about it, the way an average person uses a blender isn’t going to make a big difference if even a tiny difference. If you were working with chilled or frozen items, that would keep the temperature down.

Both the Omega and Lexen juice wheatgrass as well as fruits/vegetables but I think they will cost you around $200 and they are both masticating juicers.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Whatever you do, don’t get a centrifugal juicer… Save and get yourself an ager or a double auger for your wheatgrass… I get my wheatgrass at the juice bar at Whole Foods… Personally, I believe you need the fiber, so I only use a blender at home… 2 meals a day from the blender have been wonderful for my health and well being… Good luck with whatever decision you make…