Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Fresh Dates

FeeFee Raw Master

I was really excited today to find fresh dates in my local market. They are truly delicious, however the top of them is very creamy looking and weird when I open them up. Is this normal or are they infected with some buggy insect? My mum reckons it is fine and where it has crystallised a bit. Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Comments

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

I just bought five organic Medjool dates at a Hy-vee in a dusty bin, but they seemed fine too me. Kind of sticky, though. I don’t think yours are infected with an insect, though! eww.

• Google a fresh date and see what it looks like.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=fresh+d…

there are a bunch of pictures of fresh dates.

• FeeFee Raw Master

Thanks for the ideas guys. I looked at the pictures and couldnt see anything like my dates. However they were so cheap I dont mind throwing some bits away even if there is nothing wrong with them.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi there Fee, they are fine, they usually look like that, well maybe 50% of the boxes we get are like that. The sugaryness just gets too much and it all crystalises. That’s what happens with raw un messed with natural food, it misbehaves now and then but it is just the best.

• FeeFee Raw Master

Thanks Zoe, that was the conclusion I came today when making your coconut drink. Ive nearly got the hang of opening a coconut in under three hours! They are just so delicous and sweet and sticky!